Is there a real difference between DVD-R and DVD+R media?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ben_albert
    • Dec 2004

Is there a real difference between DVD-R and DVD+R media?

I have read on some sites that DVD-R and DVD+R blank recordable media are identical and the only difference is the name. I am aware that DVD-R and DVD+R recording methods do differ. But according to some resources, both are simply blank DVD's, which method you choose when authoring is what makes the difference. Can anyone tell me if this is correct, and if not what are the differences in the media? (If you can point me to a site that documents this I would be greatly interested in seeing that as well.) Thank you.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"But according to some resources, both are simply blank DVD's, which method you choose when authoring is what makes the difference."

This is incorrect. A DVD-R is a DVD-R is a DVD-R. It cannot be changed to a DVD+R.

Formats are different (as you've alluded to, referring to "recording methods do differ") and DVD-R capacity is approximately 6Mb greater...

(On the other hand, you CAN change the bitsetting of a DVD+R so that it appears to your player to be a DVD-ROM)
    Last edited by setarip; 2 Dec 2004, 08:40 AM.

Comment

• ben_albert
      • Dec 2004

I don't think I understand your reply. I am talking about the media itself. Not the authoring convention. If I have a DVD burner that only burns DVD-R can I stick a DVD+R blank disc into it and tell it to burn? What will happen? Unfortunately I can't test this as my burner does both. I am claiming that a 200 blank DVD's are made at a factory, and then 100 of them are "labeled" DVD-R while the other 100 are labeled DVD+R. There is really no difference. They are both just blank DVD's. When you go to record onto them, you choose either DVD-R or DVD+R and that is when they truly "become" that format. Hopefully this clears up my original question and does not confuse the matter further. Thanks again in advance if you can clear this question up.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"If I have a DVD burner that only burns DVD-R can I stick a DVD+R blank disc into it and tell it to burn?"

No - it will NOT recognize any blank DVD+R...

Comment

• cynthia
          Super Moderatress
          • Jan 2004

It's like saying that Pepsi and Coca-Cola are made in the same factory and it is when it is bottled it will be either Pepsi or Coca-Cola...

The structure of the discs are completely different.

Comment

• sfheath
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Sep 2003

If you were to use ReWritables, you'd find that +RW erases quicker than -RW.
            If what you alluded to was true, what would be the purpose of manufacturers differentiating between the two? Further more, why a price difference between + and - for same manufacturers?
            This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• ben_albert
              • Dec 2004

Here is the original source for my confusion:

"What is the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R?

To answer this question in very simple terms: almost none.

There appears to be no physical, and little functional, difference between the DVD-R/-RW discs and the DVD+R/+RW discs. The DVD-R ("dash” R) and -RW media are officially approved by the group called DVD Forum, and the DVD+R ("plus” R) and +RW are not. The DVD+R/+RW media are supported by the DVD+RW Alliance.

The main difference seems to lie in the DVDs' built-in defects management, the way they can be formatted and, of course, their price."

Taken from "DVD Discs: +R Versus -R", here is the link: http://netforbeginners.about.com/cs/...ms=dvd+r+media"+rw+and+ram+cheap+uk+source

I still have not heard from anyone who has a DVD-R only burner who attempted to feed it a DVD+R disc to see what would happen. (Or using a DVD-R disc in a DVD+R burner.) My burner does both so unfortunately I cannot attempt this experiment myself. If someone can attempt this and get back to me I would love to hear the results.

Comment

• sfheath
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Sep 2003

I think Setarip answered this question earlier - it simply won't recognise the media .. much like when I absent-mindedly put a blank DVD in my CD writer the other day.
                This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• ben_albert
                  • Dec 2004

That is great, but has anyone tried this? I keep hearing people say, "you can't put a DVD-R disc into a DVD+R burner." But has anyone actually attempted this? Sorry to be such a pain but I hear claims like this all the time: "you can't do that in Windows, it won't work." -"well have you tried it?" -"well no, but I heard from so-and-so that it doesn't work." And then we try it and it does work. Can anyone attempt this? Thanks.

Comment

• cynthia
                    Super Moderatress
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ben_albert
                    Can anyone attempt this?
                    The forum is overcrowded with error posts from people that have inserted a non supplied media into their burners.

Sometimes a hacked firmware can make you burn - media if it only originally was supported for + media.

Comment

Working...