Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sbdivemaster
    • Dec 2004

DVD-R Backup Playback Problems

OK I hope I am getting all the info down.

Backing up the Eiger Sanction.

Used DVDShrink 3.2 and Nero 6.6. Burned at 4X.

No compression needed. (tried a second backup with a bit of compression to get away from edge of media)

Both HDD files playback fine, both backup disks plays fine in DVD burner in PC.

DVDInfoPro shows all green on both discs.

Playback in DVD player in living room is bad. Skips, freezes, and pixilation at begining and end of movie; middle hour or so is clean. (Playback on slightly compressed disk just freezes 10-15 seconds into play).

Panasonic PV-D734S combo DVD/VHS machine.

I've had no problems with other backups in DVD-R from friends.

I suspect media brand to be incompatible with living room player. I got a discount on KHypermedia Value Disc 4.7GB DVD-R 4X spindle. I have played other backups made on TDK media without problems.

Can anyone confirm, deny or elaborate on this?

Thank you.

PS If you need more info, just ask...
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Poor quality media is very typically the cause of such specific poor behaviour.

Stick with higher quality media, such as Ritek, Ridat or Verbatim (Or TDK, since you've indicated that it performs well for you)

Comment

• sbdivemaster
      • Dec 2004

Thank you. I will try my own burning with TDK media and see what happens.

Still looking for more input on this until I test some different brands of media....

Does anyone know of specific brand media/player conflicts?

Thanks.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

To determine the capabilities/limitations of your specific brand and model of standalone DVD player, as well as media compatibility, go to:

Comment

• sbdivemaster
          • Dec 2004

Found the problem

I have now tested several different brands of DVD-R media in a few different machines with the same movie.

There is nothing wrong with the disks. The combo VHS/DVD player in my living room just doesn't like DVD-R media.

Each disk worked perfectly in every other machine I tried.

The in-laws had a brand new machine in a box; the disks work perfectly on that, so it, along with the bedroom VCR, will go in the living room and the combo machine will get moved to bedroom (we would only watch rented DVD's in there anyway).

I checked back in here to let you all know that the problem is solved, and thanks for the input.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"thanks for the input"

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...