Computer Freezes When Converting AVI to DVD. Help?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mobiledreamz
    • Dec 2004

Computer Freezes When Converting AVI to DVD. Help?

Hey all,

I have a couple questions.

I have a bunch of AVI movies I'm trying to convert into DVD format and then burn to a DVD+R. I'm using Cucusoft AVI converter to convert it to DVD, then I use IFOedit for the DVD Authoring and then I burn the files to DVD using Nero Burning Rom. Anyway, when I'm using the AVI converter to convert my movie it will take anywhere from 1.5 hours to 6.5 hours depending on the movie. Of course I'm not going to sit there and watch it convert so I'll leave for a while to let it do what it needs too. I'll then come back and find that my computer is 100% frozen and I will have to restart it to get back to windows. The wierd thing is that it freezes sometimes and other times it will convert the AVI file without any problems. Why could this be happening? I'm using a Radeon 9800 Pro video card and I have well over 160 gigs of hard drive space and over a gig of RAM. In other words, it can't be my hardware, could it?

2nd question. I want to uninstall all my codecs and go get a free package of codecs somewhere on the web. Wheres a good place to get all the codecs I could need/want.

If anyone can help me, that would be great. Thanks in advance!

-Evan
  • mobiledreamz
    • Dec 2004

Anyone?

Comment

• jmet
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2002

Have you recently upgraded to SP 2 ? You can also try another program called TMPGEnc DVD Author. A different program than just plain ole TMPGEnc. You can do a google search for it.

Comment

• Mig$y
        Retired
        • Jan 2004

>jmet

TMPGEnc DVD Author requires Mpeg-1/Mpeg-2 video files...

You can use plain old TMPGEnc to convert the .avis to Mpeg compliant files to import into TMPGEnc DVD Author

>mobiledreamz - http://www.free-codecs.com/Codec_Packs.htm for your Codec Packs...

Comment

• mobiledreamz
          • Dec 2004

Thanks for the info. It still doesn't really help though. Unfortunatly it all comes down to me still converting the files. Whether I convert the AVI to DVD or AVI to MPEG it still freezes up. Hmmmm. I wish there was a simple fix.

Comment

• mobiledreamz
            • Dec 2004

anyone else?

Comment

• ormonde
              Digital Video Explorer
              • Dec 2003

"I wish there was a simple fix."

Perhaps "Some" of your AVI files have "Bad" frames in them - you did state in your initial post that you had successfully converted certain files while others failed. On the ones that are "Problem" files, try and run them through a program called "AviFiXP".

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

1) Load one of the the problematic original .AVI video files into VirtualDub (or one of its many variants) or NanDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (BOTH video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

Comment

Working...