Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ladie Jas
    • Dec 2004

HELP!! DVD Burner Issues

I have a near new LG GSA-4120B DVD-RW. Suddnely it wont work.. well let me clarify..
    it will not play movie DVD's. The cursor flashes from arrow to small cd symbol but nothing happens and then "my computer" stops responding at all and resets
    The drive will play data and audio cd's and dvd's but then renames itself to a CDRom Drive in "my computer"
    The drive is recognised in system devices as a DVD-ROM drive and there are no problems showing.
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled the device several times with no change to the existing problem.
    I have done a full format on my system and the problem has remained unchanged.
    All cables etc are correctly and firmly attached.
    I am running AMD 3200, IG DDR Ram, Asus A7N8X-E M/B with XP Pro SP2 with all updates.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Jas
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

Originally Posted By: Ladie Jas
    "I am running AMD 3200, IG DDR Ram, Asus A7N8X-E M/B with XP Pro SP2 with all updates."

When did you install SP2? Has it successfully ripped/burned DVD's since the installation of SP2 ?

Is your DMA enabled? - To check DMA settings. Go to Control Panel> System> Hardware Tab> Device Manager> IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers> Right Click Primary IDE channel> Properties> Advanced Settings Tab> Transfer Mode or <a href="http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=101616">Click here to learn.</a>

Comment

• cynthia
      Super Moderatress
      • Jan 2004

Could try to see if you have the latest Nvidia drivers for your motherboard installed: http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp_5.10

Comment

• Wouter
        • Dec 2004

I'd suggest to uninstall sp2 and instalml sp1 again. The person I buy my hardware from is against using sp2 because it isn't compatible with everything. So maybe your dvd-rom isn't compatible with sp2. this might not be the problem but it's always better to have sp1 installed instead of sp2

Comment

• sfheath
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Sep 2003

Can you do a System Restore to before you added SP2?
          This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• Ladie Jas
            • Dec 2004

Thanks for the suggestions Wouter & sfheath but the situation was identical to full format... prior to format SP1... thats when the problem started... so love rebuilding my puter, that I was inspired to do a full reformat incorporating SP2... sadly the DVD situ stayed the same...
            Because of our time differences... I threw the towel in at 12.00 pm Brisbane time , removed the drive and returned it to the supplier.... cant wait for the replacement to arrive to see if is recovered or still shy

Comment

Working...