X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doogie
    • Dec 2004

a couple issues when burning dvds

OK... I'm pulling my hair out.

I have a Nu Tech 8X DVD +R burner that I just upgraded the firmware on to include -R burning as well.

I have burned several DVDs in the +R format that play fine in my Apex machine - but have issues in other DVD players I have.

In my Cyberhome the issue is I put in the DVD+R and what I see on the screen is the actual directory structure on the DVD!!! I see Audio_TS and Video_TS... when I use the remote to navigate to the Video_TS directory and hit enter - it goes into that directory but there are no files that are displayed... (even though I know the files are there because it playes in my Apex!)

I tried DVD-R's, but it won't even read those... so I guess this one just does +Rs.

SECOND ISSUE:

When I put the known-good DVD+R into my portable Malata player - the movie starts (YEAH) for 2 seconds... then it stops!

I tried a DVD-R and got the exact same thing....

Am I stupid? How come this is happening to me?

Thanx for listening... I hope someone knows the answer.
    Last edited by doogie; 22 Dec 2004, 01:37 AM.
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

My advice is too first check the compatibility and limitations of your DVD player and your DVD burner/writer. You may do that by click the orange and gold links at the bottom of my post.

Second, what brand of media are you using?

Comment

• doogie
      • Dec 2004

Yeah... I tried an my Malata 560P isn't listed... it might be too new.

I've tried Teon, Memorex, and Imation blanks.

Comment

• jmet
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2002

Originally Posted By: doogie
        "In my Cyberhome the issue is I put in the DVD+R and what I see on the screen is the actual directory structure on the DVD!!! I see Audio_TS and Video_TS... when I use the remote to navigate to the Video_TS directory and hit enter - it goes into that directory but there are no files that are displayed... (even though I know the files are there because it playes in my Apex!)"
        Is "Cyberhome" a stand alone DVD player, or computer software?

Comment

• doogie
          • Dec 2004

its a cheap stand alone bought at Target for $29

Comment

• jmet
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2002

Its a DVD Player, yet you have to navigate to the VIDEO_TS folder using your remote? Does the DVD have menus?

Comment

• doogie
              • Dec 2004

I know what you're saying... I've never seen this before either... when you put in a regular DVD it just plays... but the ones I burn for some reason show a directory! If you look at the DVD on the computer you see the Audio_TS and Video_TS directories... just like when you put it in the Cyberhome... I don't know what is going on.

Comment

• doogie
                • Dec 2004

...and the other player - the Malata - just plays like 2 seconds of the video... enough to see the Columbia statue lady and the stars that encircle her head... then... poof.... stops! I tried 3 different movies and all play for only a few seconds... but the original DVDs play fine... so frustrating.

Comment

• cynthia
                  Super Moderatress
                  • Jan 2004

To find out if it is in the burning process or in the playing process you have your problem - do this test;

Download www.dvdinfopro.com (freeware) insert one of your burned disc and selelct the option "Test your media for CRC read errors" - if you only get green dots you know that your burning is ok and it is the player that causes the problem. If you get any red dots - you know something else.

Solutions:
                  1. Firmware update for your burner
                  2. Try a better media

You could also try to use bitsetting/book mark on your +R media - if your burner can handle it. That could make a discs that your reader perhaps will read easier.

Comment

• doogie
                    • Dec 2004

beautiful - I will try this tonight when I get home from work... I know I am using the latest burner firmware - just updated over the weekend... but I will download this program and try it.

Comment

• doogie
                      • Dec 2004

OK... I downloaded and ran the program... all green dots....

Any other thoughts?

Comment

• cynthia
                        Super Moderatress
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by cynthia
                        You could also try to use bitsetting/book mark on your +R media - if your burner can handle it. That could make a discs that your reader perhaps will read easier.
                        http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/150

Comment

• doogie
                          • Dec 2004

I have an update!!!! I borrowed a new 2.4X DVD+R Imation from someone at work. When I came home I made a backup of my Ace Ventura movie. IT WORKED ON MY MALATA PORTABLE!!! But I still get the exact same thing on the Cyberhome stand alone DVD player... it comes up with the directory sturucture... I see AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS... What could this be?

Comment

• jmet
                            Super Moderator
                            • Nov 2002

Its got be a setting of some sort on your "Cyberhome stand alone DVD player". Try messing with the options on the dvd remote. It probably won't say options on your remote but, the button to change that setting is on there. If you still have the owner manual to the DVD player, try looking in it.

Comment

• doogie
                              • Dec 2004

Actually, there is a SETUP key on the remote... I went into that - and it had like 5 sub menus... but nothing that allows this to play... its very weird!

Comment

Working...