X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sudigali
    • Dec 2004

External DVD Burner

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for an external DVD Burner. I am still not able to decide on the model. (i bought i/o magic 16x ext. & returned after wasting lot of dvd media). My budget is limited $100. I have a laptop computer. Please suggest which one would be better.

Thanks
    Sudi
  • thingscomp
    • Dec 2004

How did you determine that the problem is the DVD Burner? I also recently purchased the same one and I've had trouble backing up movies. It stops at 47-49%. I assumed (since I'm new at this) that it is something I'm doing wrong.

Comment

• sudigali
      • Dec 2004

i updated firmware. used licensed version of latest nero. tried different media. the max it wirtes is at 4x & some dvds does not read in player some does not read in computer. the tech support guys not able to figure out the issue. i waited 2 weeks before return the equipment.

Comment

• charlypuss
        • Nov 2004

Try the LG externals. I use a Super combi. USB2 and Firewire. DL Version. Don't know what it cost in funny money, but around 120 Euros in Spain. Not had one single problem with it (apart from the Spanish manual.......)
        If it ain't afloat .... It's sunk .... If it ain't broke.... leave it alone.... I was once indecisive....Now I'm not sure....

I'm old enough to know better...BUT...too young to give a toss...

Comment

• thingscomp
          • Dec 2004

I took it back to staples and tried another one (i/o magic) and had similar results. The funny part is the first one was very consistent and stopped at 47 or 49%. The second stopped at 31 to 54% but it did do the same thing. It also locked functions up on the computer alot more. I'm now trying a plextor internal and it seems to be "smokin'" so far...we'll see.

Comment

• charlypuss
            • Nov 2004

@ thingscomp.. How were your external burners connected to your machine ?
            If it ain't afloat .... It's sunk .... If it ain't broke.... leave it alone.... I was once indecisive....Now I'm not sure....

Comment

• sudigali
              • Dec 2004

Thanks for the reply everyone. I havn't bought anything yet. searching...searching....for better deal.

Sudi.

Comment

• thingscomp
                • Dec 2004

It was connected with USB 2.0.

Comment

• charlypuss
                  • Nov 2004

Might be a problem with your USB2 port, hub, or cable

Comment

• thingscomp
                    • Dec 2004

Could be...They both work with my digital camera and HP d135 all in one machine, but who knows with computers?

The Plextor is working very well so maybe it worked out for the better.

Comment

Working...