Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • litl_blu_dragon
    • Jan 2005

problems with samsung ts-h552b

Ok i have a two year old machine and got this dvd burner for christmas, anyways when i backup a movie everything looks fine but when its done no dvd player will read it and even the samsung won't read it it makes the dvd rom symbol in my computer turn into a cdrom symbol but doesn't recognize that there is a disc in... i am using nero 6 ultra version i have the most recent firmware for the dvd writer and i have even taken it out of one computer put it in another, newer machine and it burns just fine? any suggestions
  • sfheath
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Sep 2003

When in your machine, is the IDE channel transfer mode on 'DMA if available'?
    Was the blank media you tried, the same in both computers?
    Was the Nero the same version?
    This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• litl_blu_dragon
      • Jan 2005

re

i don't know what dma is to tell you if it is available... and yes the software and media were the same in both computers

Comment

• charlypuss
        • Nov 2004

Hiya, Look at this link and all will be revealed... (maybe)
        If it ain't afloat .... It's sunk .... If it ain't broke.... leave it alone.... I was once indecisive....Now I'm not sure....

I'm old enough to know better...BUT...too young to give a toss...

Comment

• ghaleous
          • Jan 2005

dragon, et al, I too just got this burner and am having the same problem.

put it in my 3 month old Athlon XP 2800+ with 512MB RAM. it's on it's own IDE channel, set to 'DMA if available' and currently at Ultra DMA Mode 2. I'm running Nero 6.6.0.5, using FujiFilm DVD+R's. Not only that, I installed the exact same Nero setup and used DVD+R's off my exact spindle on 2 other computers (one with a Sony DVD burner, the other with an HP) and both burned perfectly working DVD and Xbox game backups.

Things I've tried:
          uninstall/reinstall of Nero
          switching burner to/from Primary IDE channel
          installing brand new 80 conductor, 40 pin IDE cable
          upgraded firmware; came out of box with TS05, upgraded to TS06

I'm at the brink of returning it if I can't get it to work. Any ideas?

Comment

• TRI0N
            Digital Video Technician
            Digital Video Technician
            • Dec 2004

Might aslo want to look into your Motherboard Chipset Drivers (IDE Controller) and make sure their up to date. See if they have anything newer out that might solve your problem.

Also are you putting labels on your backups?
            Cheers!

TRI0N

Comment

• ghaleous
              • Jan 2005

checked around, chipset drivers are up to date
              burned discs with and without labels
              burned as multisession and single session
              tried completely uninstalling Nero, using cleaner tools and registry cleaner, then burned with DVD-Decrypter
              still no hope

media info: RICOHJPN-R00-01, I read R00 are supposed to be good disks too

the most frustrating part is that I get great burn times and never a single error, yet none of my burns will read in neither my xbox nor my 2 stand-alone dvd players

I think newegg can expect this drive back any day now...

any other ideas m8's?
              Last edited by ghaleous; 26 Jan 2005, 03:15 PM.

Comment

• sfheath
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Sep 2003

Try one of your burns in DVDInfoPro's CRC test routine.
                Check out www.videohelp.com for media brand compatibility with your writer and players.
                I really wouldn't recommend labels and DVD standard is DAO, not multisession. Are you using the DVD video wizard?
                This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• jmet
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2002

If your going to use Nero to burn your DVD, I suggest following this guide/tutorial: http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...453#post221453

Comment

• ghaleous
                    • Jan 2005

sfheath, checked the link, no compatibility problems listed. I wasn't using the wizard when burning, but I was burning images created by DVD-Decrypter when I used Nero. I also tried burning with DVD-Decrypter, but no luck.

doesn't it seem weird that this burner keeps cropping up as troublesome. At least 2 others this month on this forum posted similar stories and no one has chimed in to say they got their TS-H552B to work fine. I even took my friends Sony DVD burner today, swapped it in to my computer, didn't change or modify any of my software settings, burned using the exact same media and got 2 flawless DVD backups and a perfect XBox backup on my first 3 tries.

I'd certainly appreciate any other ideas/advice, but I'm shipping this piece back to newegg before the end of the week.

latest deal looks like hXXp://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=27-152-035&DEPA=0
                    any horror stories on the ND-3520A burner?

Comment

• TRI0N
                      Digital Video Technician
                      Digital Video Technician
                      • Dec 2004

Nope the NEC Drives are nice ones. Sorry to hear you go your hands on a poor product.
                      Cheers!

TRI0N

Comment

• ghaleous
                        • Jan 2005

well i broke down and called newegg, they're sending me the NEC tomorrow and said they'd refund my $$ on the Samsung as soon as they got it back. you live and you learn i guess...

Comment

Working...