is \Video_TS dir required to play movies in set-top DVD Players?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mlh
    • Jan 2005

is \Video_TS dir required to play movies in set-top DVD Players?

If you look at the file structure on a movie DVD, their are generally root level subdirectories there. I've never seen one without a \Video_TS directory and many also have a \Audio_TS directory. Some have even more directories.

Why doesn't the movie play when I just copy the VOB files to the root of a DVD disk?
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

You cannot just simply copy a .vob and expect it to play. Not only does a typical DVD have .vob files, its has .bup and .ifo files as well. All needed to play the DVD properly. They all work with each other. You cannot simply insert a DVD, copy the .vob files, then burn them and expect the DVD to play.

Comment

• mlh
      • Jan 2005

Thanks. What's the minimum fileset?

What's the minimum fileset required for a DVD movie to play on a set-top home entertainment DVD player.

Comment

• jmet
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2002

Take a look at this tutorial, it even has pictures - http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=45238

Comment

• Mig$y
          Retired
          • Jan 2004

Re: is \Video_TS dir required to play movies in set-top DVD Players?

Originally posted by mlh
          Why doesn't the movie play when I just copy the VOB files to the root of a DVD disk?
          As you also need your .IFO and .BUP files

The IFO files tell the DVD player how the DVD should be played....aspect ratio, subtitles, languages, menus etc etc

BUP files are simple backups of your IFO incase they become corrupted.

Comment

• mlh
            • Jan 2005

Alright. Thank-you.

In another post, I've asked about an editor for IFO files. I would like to understand their file structure, read and edit them. Am hoping for some more useful information concerning them.

Comment

• Mig$y
              Retired
              • Jan 2004

do a net search for "IfoEdit" or "PgcEdit"....

there is plenty of info' & guides for them both over at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tools...res=&listuser=

Comment

Working...