• jlistunner
    • Jan 2005

System locks up during transcoding

MoBo: Soyo SY-K7VTA-B
    CPU: Athlon 1.3 GHz
    Memory: 512 Mb SDRAM (2 x 256 PC100)
    Video: Chaintech GeForce FX5200 w/ 256 DDR Ram & onboard fan
    Soundcard: Turtle Beach Catalina 7.1.
    Fans: 2 80mm case fans, 1 80 mm Speeze CPU Fan & Heatsink, 1 Turbo Harddrive Cooler (5.25 drive bay Harddrive cooling kit that contains 2 fans).
    Power Supply: 425 watts for both P4 and AMD
    Case: Just 4 PC, Inc. ATX form factor (plenty of room)
    DVD-Rom: Aopen 16x (secondary Slave) latest Firmware update done
    DVD Burner: LiteOn 16x8 DVD-R/RW,+R/RW,DL (primary Slave) latest Firmware update done
    HDD: 1 Western Digital 7200 rpm 19.0 Gb (secondary Master) & 1 Seagate (upto)7200 rpm 7.0 Gb (primary Master).
    Utility software: Using most recent versions of DVD Decryptor and DVD Shrink. Motherboard hardware monitoring software. PowerDVD. Drivers/application software for Microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse, soundcard, and video adapter.
    Movies: Harry Potter Sorcerer's Stone, Harry Potter Chamber of Secrets, I-Robot.
    OS is installed on Seagate HDD (single NTFS partition) with sp2 and no other updates or patches have been installed. All applications are installed on the same drive. Page file is set to 1536 Mb. Western Digital drive (single NTFS partition) used for temporary DVD .ISO's and other associated files.

Problem:
    Using DVD Decryptor I can easily rip a DVD to my D: drive (less than 10 minutes) but when I use DVD Shrink 3.2 to Back-Up (compress & transcode) the re-authored DVD, my system will hang. I have tried 3 different movies (mentioned above) and the same thing happens everytime. There is no particular pattern to the time and/or percentage complete before the system hangs. I have made sure all 3 discs are clean and free from major scratches. I have monitored my system & cpu temperatures: System: 28.8 degrees C CPU: 41 degrees C. I have utilized Task Manager and watched CPU activity during this procedure and everything looks fine. I have looked at Event Manger after rebooting (because the system crashed) and there are no alerts in Application or System. I do not have a screen saver set or any power saving features set, for that matter, that would initiate during the compression session. Both primary and secondary controllers are set to UDMA. I did notice that the primary ribbon is 80 but the secondary isn't and I will fix that tonight. I uninstalled latest version of DVD Shrink and installed version 2.3 and the same thing happened.

I would truely appreciate anyones help. I have spent a month trying to build my own HTPC and would hate for it all to go to waste just because I couldn't compress a movie that was more than 90 minutes long. I would spend the money to get DVD compression software if I new that it was a software issue, but I truely cannot believe it is since so many people utilize both DVD Decryptor and DVD Shrink on systems that are about equal to mine.

Thanks in advance.
  • jlistunner
    • Jan 2005

Issue has been resolved (kind of). I just put some of the components into another PC that I have and I am burning like crazy with Decryptor and DVD Shrink. I think I have an issue with my AMD Athlon 1.3 GHZ processor.

Comment

Working...