• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TRI0N
    Digital Video Technician
    Digital Video Technician
    • Dec 2004

TV Capture Device

I'm about to invest in a new peice of hardware for capturing TV to the PC so that I can make DVD's of my favorite shows and make backups of my VHS Collection.

What would you people reccomend for me to purchase?

Keep In Mind: Reaplacing my Video Card is not an option. I'm not about to pull my GF-FX 256MB card out for something to just capture A/V.

I would like to see the device to have RCA A/V and S-Video Inputs would be nice to see it with Fiber Optic Audio Input also but not required since I have a Sound Blaster Live Drive with Fiber Optic Input and Outputs.

My ideal setup would be to S-Video and Fiber Optic Audio In.

RCA A/V for transfing from an older Video Camera.

Would be nice to see it come with some Snazy Software too but now required since I've come to like NeroVision Express 3 alot.

Thanks for any suggestions....
    Cheers!

TRI0N
  • TRI0N
    Digital Video Technician
    Digital Video Technician
    • Dec 2004

I got my eye on 3 of them and not sure what to do.. hehe

ATI TV Wonder External USB2 with got great reviews in PC World Magizine:

Hauppauge PCI 150 MCE:

Hauppauge PCI 250 MCE:

Those 2 Hauppauge's have what I want and the MCE (Media Center Addition) is not required to use those. Too bad it appears the 500 MCE requires Win XP MCE.. But can't win them all eh?

Anyone have any comments on USB2 vs PCI Interfaces and Video Capturing?
    Cheers!

TRI0N

Comment

• TRI0N
      Digital Video Technician
      Digital Video Technician
      • Dec 2004

Starting to think this Area of the Fourms is like something you put into the rafters of your garage and isn't found until your Great Great Great Grandchildern stumble upon it and make a fortune.
      Cheers!

TRI0N

Comment

• sfheath
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by TRI0N
        Starting to think this Area of the Fourms is like something you put into the rafters of your garage and isn't found until your Great Great Great Grandchildern stumble upon it and make a fortune.
        Heh heh, well it is a heck of a way down the forum list

The Hauppauge devices have come on a bit since I bought my WinTV but software still seems to get slated.
        I notice the ATI ad mentions MPEG4?
        Please let us know what you decide on and post a review
        This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• TRI0N
          Digital Video Technician
          Digital Video Technician
          • Dec 2004

Well looks like I'm going to go with the ATI Wonder USB 2.0. I just like the ability to be able to use it on a laptop also.

I'll post a review on it once I get all setup and do a few transfers to pass judgement on.
          Cheers!

TRI0N

Comment

• wheels
            • Mar 2003

I have the pinnacle usb box with the studio 9 software........good piece of equipment

Comment

• TRI0N
              Digital Video Technician
              Digital Video Technician
              • Dec 2004

I've heard that Pinnacle USB Box has alot of problems with synching sound with the video. Unless you know of a fix that makes those problems go away I'm sure my buddy that uses that setup also would like to know.
              Cheers!

TRI0N

Comment

• sfheath
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Sep 2003

Pinnacle has a much used forum .. unfortunately not much visited by their tech support!
                This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• megamachine
                  Video Fiddler
                  • Mar 2003

I just started using the Canopus ADVC-110, and it seems decent so far. It captures straight DV and needs no drivers. Several software recognize it (under XP). The audio and video are both on FireWire, and it has S-Vid and A/V in and out. It handles two types of NTSC vids, as well as PAL/SECAM. The 110 can take power off your FireWire port, and so needs no AC adapter, but otherwise is the same as the ADVC-100 (for which there are more reviews online). It is Macrovision enabled, but this can be easily disabled. I sometimes capture DV, though with some softwares you can also convert to MPEG-2 while capturing. Both work well. Prior to this, I used a USB device, but had some problems with audio distortion and dropped frames. Anyway, hope this helps.

Comment

• Marek70
                    • Feb 2005

Quote:
                    Keep In Mind: Reaplacing my Video Card is not an option. I'm not about to pull my GF-FX 256MB card out for something to just capture A/V.

Why?

There are good cards that will do both.

I have the ATI AIW Radon 9800 Pro and I can vidcap off my PVR and play Doom 3, HL2, etc. with it.

If you want more power, ATI will soon have a AIW version of
                    their X800 XT card out.

The PCI-Express version of the AIW X800 XT card will no doubt punk your GF-Fx card...and rightly so..its close to 600 bucks.

You get what you pay for I always say.
                    All of the above is my opinion. Select the card you feel meets your needs.

Comment

• painttech
                      Gold Member
                      Gold Member
                      • Feb 2005

I would be interested to hear which one your decided on and how it works . I am currently looking into buying a capture device. I have tons of vhs and digital8 i would like on dvd. the tv tuner would come in handy
                      "Dude where's my Decrypter"

Comment

• terrapin24h
                        • Dec 2004

trion---
                        Is the ati box a hardware mpeg encoder? Or does it capture avi and then convert it-machine side? I'm looking into them as well, and have settled on the hauppage wintv-pvr USB 2, as i have a laptop and (now 2) desktops that i might want to rip with. In truth, i have read bad things about all of them: the adaptec, ati, hauppage, dazzle, etc(it's amazing how polar some of the reviews can be) to me the haup seems to be the most complete package, boasts the best rate, and best of all requires only about 1gb of disk space per hour of converted video, as it's hardware mpeg. Can scoot right along too at up to 12Mbits/sec.

Comment

Working...