Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jerpat
    • Jan 2005

Data error (Cyclic Redundancy Check)

Burned one DVD from larger file DVD with no problem. Several attempts to burn another result in halt of progress with error message: Data error (Cyclic Redundancy Check).
    Any answers?
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

The DVD you are trying to backup may be dirty, physically damaged (scratches), or badly authored. I would suggest cleaning it first, then try again. If, none of the above apply.

a) Try cleaning the disc - toothpaste is a very good thing to use.
    b) Try using DVD Decrypter to first rip the disc to your hard-drive, and then use DVD Shrink "Open Files". Here is a guide on how to use DVD Decrypter. It's important that you use the "File" mode - and from the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "All Files" (NOT "movie files"). http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=45238
    c) Try using your DVD writer to read the disc.
    d) Try any combination of the above.
    e) Go back to your shop and exchange it.

Make sure you are using DVD Decrypter version 3.5.2.0.

Comment

• guilhas
      • Mar 2004

jmet,
      how do i clean a DVD using 'toothpaste' ?

i have some DVDs with scratchs on it that cannot be read (CRC Error) or freeze movie sometimes, with this one i would like o try a backup for better results in DVD player (without pixelation).

thanks in advance.

Comment

• jerpat
        • Jan 2005

Problem solved

I found an easy answer to my problem with DVD Shrink. I uninstalled & now use DVDX which works much faster, much simpler (no separate decrypting or whatever), & no error messages. Once I tried DVDX I realized some things are too expensive even if they're free.
        Thanks for those who tried to help.

Comment

• jmet
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2002

Originally posted by guilhas
          jmet,
          how do i clean a DVD using 'toothpaste' ?

i have some DVDs with scratchs on it that cannot be read (CRC Error) or freeze movie sometimes, with this one i would like o try a backup for better results in DVD player (without pixelation).

thanks in advance.
          Gently buff the scratches with toothpaste.

Comment

• gcornett
            • Jan 2005

Chances are you need to upgrade to DVD Decrypter 3.5.2.0 as some new DVD's include what I call ghost crypts that halt the decrypt status. 3.5.2.0 will insert dummy sectors into the ghost crypt slot and allow backup to continue.
            DVD Shrink has yet to address this issue but will soon, I'm sure.
            This will more than likely correct your problem provided your not dealing with the obvvious problems of dirty discs, etc.

Comment

• jerpat
              • Jan 2005

No toothpaste or upgrade needed

Please read my earlier post. With DVDX I burned a DVD quickly of the same DVD that had caused problems with DVD Shrink.
              With DVDX I didn't need toothpaste or ANY version of DVD Decrypter.

Comment

• johne88
                Gold Member
                Gold Member
                • Jul 2004

gcornett...you are right..with that error message..you need too rip with decrypter and then shrink it with 3.2...should have no problems...you need the latest version of decrypter..3.5.2.0

Comment

• charlypuss
                  • Nov 2004

@ gcornett.

Sorry DVDshrink will not have any further updates as it is now out of production /development...

@ jerpat

uninstalling shrink is not an answer... We all have problems with different programs (hence the forums) the answer is there it just needs to be found....
                  If it ain't afloat .... It's sunk .... If it ain't broke.... leave it alone.... I was once indecisive....Now I'm not sure....

I'm old enough to know better...BUT...too young to give a toss...

Comment

• jerpat
                    • Jan 2005

Why?

Why would I continue to wrestle with a problem with DVD Shrink when I can use DVD X Copy with no problems? Maybe you're masochistic but I'm not.

Comment

• jmet
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2002

Maybe it was not DVD Shrink but merely the operator of DVD Shrink ?

Comment

• jerpat
                        • Jan 2005

It doesn't matter!

It doesn't really matter whether it was my error or not. The fact is I'm using DVD X Copy to produce quick, reliable, trouble-free DVD copies. If I'm too stupid to use DVD shrink so be it. It is your God-given right, as a DVD expert, to keep wrestling with DVD Shrink until the cows come home. I'm delighted to report that I don't put up with aggravation any source; life's too short. If your intent is to prove you're a DVD Shrink martyr have at it. I wouldn't go near it again if you paid me.

Comment

• jmet
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2002

ok

Comment

• charlypuss
                            • Nov 2004

Ditto
                            If it ain't afloat .... It's sunk .... If it ain't broke.... leave it alone.... I was once indecisive....Now I'm not sure....

I'm old enough to know better...BUT...too young to give a toss...

Comment

Working...