Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tinytool
    • Jan 2005

Backing up with DVD-R's and get pixalation, freezing etc

OK, I don’t know were to start, so here goes. I’ve tried to provide very detailed info to aid in troubleshooting.

Hardware involved.

Optorite 405 dvd burner
    Sony S560D DVD player
    Philips DVD724 Player
    Panasonic DVD-RP56 Player

Disks I’m using.

Verbatim DVD-R 4x (Digital Movie) Disk has old movie reel printed on each disk
    Sony DVD-R 8x (plain white)

Software

DVD Shrink 3.2
    NERO 6.6.0.0 Enterprise edition

In all cases explained below I tried backing up Menus, Main Movie and Extras.

Attempt # 1

I began backing up a few of my movies using DVD Shrink 3.2, I open disk, It does the basic analyze, I deselect the foreign languages, then I click on backup, it reads the disks, shrink then askes for for a blank disk and writes successfully. Movie plays perfectly on my Sony player, but skips and has pixalization and sometimes freezes on my Philips and Panasonic DVD players. In this case, my backup target was my Optorite DVD burner.

Attempt # 2

So, I followed the same steps above but this time selected “custom ratio” to reduce the size of the movie to around 4350 meg. (per recommendation from this site) I used Shrink to backup and burn the disk. Same problems occurred. Movie plays perfectly on my Sony player, but skips and has pixalization and sometimes freezes on my Philips and Panasonic DVD players. Again, my backup target was my Optorite DVD burner.

Attempt # 3

So, in my next attempt I used Shrink 3.2 to read the movie, I then selected as my “backup target” to create an ISO image file. Shrink completed its task and created a 4.xx gig file. I unzipped the file to create all the individual video files. I then followed the steps in this thread http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...453#post221453 I don’t think I over looked anything. When to burn and I get a message stating the files are not compliant. I went ahead and burned anyway. DVD is not recognized in my Philips or Panasonic. My Sony does recognize only the 1st portion of the menu section.

Attempt # 4

A 4th attempt I used the video files created with Shrink 3.2 and manually copied them to the “Video_TS directory and tried to burn with NERO. Results were the same as shown in Attemps 1 & 2 above

Questions

1st Question, when I hear folks say “ I used DVD Shrink then burned with NERO” do folks mean that they just have Just selected that option in the Backup DVD dialog box to have shrink write the DVD or do they mean they performed the steps as I outlined in my attemps 3 & 4 above?

2nd Question. What am I doing wrong. Why the heck does everything work on my Sony stand alone and I get pixalation and freezing on my Philips and Panasonic. Sony is probably 3 years old and Panasonic and Phillps are 1.5 year old if I had to guess.
    The Sony is fairly old and my guess is it has superior error correction. Any ideas????

I did try to backup up The movie Pursued today and in raw form it was around 3350 meg. I burned it using procedures shown in attempt # 1 above and the movie appeard to play just fine in the Philips player.

What can I try next? Am I following proper backup procedures?

What procedure above should yield the best results?

Thanks in advance

Joe
    Last edited by Tinytool; 25 Jan 2005, 09:40 AM.
  • Tinytool
    • Jan 2005

Anyone??????

Thank you

Joe

Comment

• jmet
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2002

"1st Question, when I hear folks say “ I used DVD Shrink then burned with NERO” do folks mean that they just have Just selected that option in the Backup DVD dialog box to have shrink write the DVD or do they mean they performed the steps as I outlined in my attemps 3 & 4 above?"
      Answered in your other thread.

"2nd Question. What am I doing wrong. Why the heck does everything work on my Sony stand alone and I get pixalation and freezing on my Philips and Panasonic. Sony is probably 3 years old and Panasonic and Phillps are 1.5 year old if I had to guess.
      The Sony is fairly old and my guess is it has superior error correction. Any ideas????"
      Most likely it is the media that is being used. Different DVD players will respond differently to each media. Just cause one DVD player plays the file with no problems but, the other DVD player doesn't even though they both are capable of playing that DVD format basically it boils down to media being used.

Comment

• Tinytool
        • Jan 2005

Thanks Jmet, Bought some Fuji, will see how they do.

Joe

Comment

• blutach
          Not a god of digital video
          • Oct 2004

The way to maximise compatibility is IF you are using +R disks (and make sure your players can handle them), to set the booktype to DVD-ROM. This is the closest thing to a pressed DVD.

Regards
          Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
          [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

Working...