DRU-510A and DRX-510UL DVD/CD rewritable drives only.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

DRU-510A and DRX-510UL DVD/CD rewritable drives only.

Well, tonight I decided to backup the movie "Cellular". It opened up and did a quick analysis using DVD Shrink 3.2 with no problems or error messages. After the quick analysis, I then proceeded to backup. After I clicked the "Backup!" button and DVD Shrink was doing the "Deep Analysis" on it, I noticed my "Read Speed" on my DVD-ROM had gone down considerably. (It was at 1.2X) So I then canceled the operation. First thing I checked was, to see if DMA was still enabled for my DVD-ROM drive. Well, it wasn't. It was in PIO mode. So, I uninstalled the driver, rebooting, and wallah, back to DMA mode.
    So while investigating my DVD-ROM, I begin to wonder about my DVD writer/burner. I went to the manufactures website to see if they might have released a newer, more recent firmware than I had already had. They hadn't but, I did notice they added a new program that allowed me to manually set the "read mode". (There were 3 modes to choose from: Silent, Automatic, & Overdrive.) Well I had been currently using "Silent", thus the reason for my extremely slow reading speed. I changed it to "Overdrive" through the software I downloaded from the Sony website. I then re-ran the movie "Cellular" through DVD Decrypter again. First time: before I downloaded the "DSS (Drive Speed Selector)" it ran at approximately 2.0X . After running the "DSS (Drive Speed Selector)" software. I ran DVD Decrypter again on the same movie. This time it started out at 2.0X but, was at 8.0X before it hit %46. What took me 57 minutes to do the first time before downloading "DSS", only took me 17 minutes after changing it from "Silent" mode to "Overdrive" mode.

Now, granted this is only for the SONY DRU-510A and the DRX-510UL DVD/CD rewritable drives. I would check your manufactures website for such an update.

Just figured I would share my new findings.
    Last edited by jmet; 13 Feb 2005, 09:21 AM.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"The read speed for my DVD-ROM is 16x, not 2x. It is 2x if you are reading from a CSS-encrypted DVD (movies). This is a firmware/drive limit that practically every DVD drive out there has."

This is incorrect. My present ASUS DVD-ROM, as well as the two DVD-ROMs that were previously parts of my system(s) are full-well capable of reading commercial (CSS protected) DVDs at far higher rates than 2X - and do so when using DVD Decrypter to "rip"...

Comment

• jmet
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2002

Oh ok setarip, guess I found some bad information. I will remove it from my post.

Comment

Working...