Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aktick
    • Jan 2005

Decrypter time vs. Shrink time

I'm complete newb to all this, but it seems that using Decrypter in conjunction with Shrink just adds a step - doesn't it? What am I missing? Because when I use both, I just take that extra step of using Decrypter first and then I have the files on my HD. Using Shrink alone, it's just taking the info straight from the disc, no?

I'm obviously missing something, but would like to know what, because using Shrink alone save me a good amount of time. Thanks for any help!
  • nwg
    Left *****
    • Jun 2003

Decrypter is useful if you want to do more than one type of copy such as movie only, full disc and film with menu and no extras.

Using Shrink alone can put a lot of strain on the drive as it decrypts/encodes on the fly. The DVD ROM drive is slower as well.

If I use deep analysis and AEC. The DVD ROM drive could be working for a couple fo hours. I rather spend 10 minutes using Decrypter and work of the HDD.

It really depends on the spec of the computer.

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

What you are missing is that MANY new DVD releases incorporate a NEW copy protection scheme ("Arccos"), that DVD Shrink cannot deal with - but DVD Decrypter v.3.52 CAN...

Additionally, DVD Decrypter CAN "rip" (remove copy protection) other DVDs that are, perhaps, less than pristine, that DVD Shrink cannot "rip"...
      Last edited by setarip; 3 Feb 2005, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• nwg
        Left *****
        • Jun 2003

Originally posted by setarip
        What you are missing is that MANY new DVD releases incorporate a NEW copy protection scheme ("Arccos"), that DVD Shrink cannot deal with - but DVD Decrypter v.3.52 CAN...
        Good point. I think it is only Sony DVD's at the moment but that could soon change.

Comment

• FeverDL
          • Jan 2005

aktick,

i had the same question starting. If you can use only DVD Shrink, then do so as this will save bunches of timel. However, it will still create the image file to your hard drive i believe.

DVD Decrypter must be used if Shrink is having problems. The new copy protection requires DVDD sometimes.

Just be sure to click on the file "unreferenced materials", and select to create to a still image. Then decrypt, read mode to and ISO file. You will then use Shrink to only compress the file and subsequently burn.

Hope this helps..

Comment

• FeverDL
            • Jan 2005

you will modify this unreferenced materials file in dvd shrink after you initially decrypt with DVDD.

1) Decrypt to an ISO file with DVDD.
            2) Shrink (read mode) to create an ISO.
            3) Make sure unreferenced is modified to create still image instead of regular compression.
            4) throw to burning program of your choice.

Comment

Working...