X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rcarter
    • Jan 2005

Shrink and burn

Hello,

It's been a while since I try to shrink and burn dvd's. My laptop will not allow me to use DVDD and DVD Shrink both due to the limit amount of space on my harddrive. I have no problem using DVDD, however when I am ready to backup using DVD Shrink, I do not have enough space.

So--, my question is can I use DVD Shrink and still burn the image using DVDD. I still cannot burn anything on my disc. I tried several times using DVD Shrink 3.1, with great success, but when I try to burn using the demo verison Nero 6, there is nothing on the disc. I looked in Windows Explorer as suggested, but all I see is a picture of a folder that is EMPTY!!! I have even used DVD Shrink 3.2, but still nothing on the disc.

I feel comfortable using DVD Shrink, but it is something going on when I try to burn. I am using Memorex DVD's disc. I have made a copy of a copy with great success so I know it is not the media I am using.

Someone please help me. What could I be doing wrong. Do you think it is the demo version of Nero I downloaded that is stopping me from burning. If there is a tutorial from the begining (Shrinking to burning) to end I can follow, please link me to it.

I know this is a easy solution, but right now, I am hopeless!

rcarter
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

As the member "blutach" would say, "Ditch Nero and use DVD Decrypter to burn". (Make sure you have chosen the correct output type in DVD Shrink if you plan on burning with DVD Decrypter.)

To learn how to do this go here: http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=45238

Comment

• djeter13
      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by jmet
      As the member "blutach" would say, "Ditch Nero and use DVD Decrypter to burn". (Make sure you have chosen the correct output type in DVD Shrink if you plan on burning with DVD Decrypter.)

To learn how to do this go here: http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=45238
      why? what are the advantages of using decrypter instead of Nero? is the quality better? is the process faster? please let me know, cause right now i use nero with shrink and have been very happy with the results, but i am very new to the backup process.

Comment

• jmet
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2002

go here: http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=45025

PS: I use Nero and DVD Shrink as well. "Different Strokes, for Different Folks!" is what it boils down to IMHO.

Comment

• rcarter
          • Jan 2005

DVDD works very well as a backup to burn. One thing I realized, I was going through some of my old DVD's disc that I tried to burn with Nero, and guess what---- there was a movie of each disc. I was SHOCK!!! I guess with the frustration at the time, I did not realize the burning process with Nero acturally WORK!!!

You can't believe how I felt!!!

So--- I do have a few more questions:

My laptop has a Clerom 1000Mhz chip with 504 MB of Ram. I hear this is not the best speed. It this true?

Do I have to perform a Deep Analysis each time, or can I just Encode only. One time I backed up a movie and I did not perform a Deep Analysis. I notice with a Deep Analysis, it takes 2 1/2 hours and the Encoding takes about the same time. I'm looking at around 5 to 5 1/2 hours to Shrink 1 movie. Where as if I just Encode around 4 hours. Why does it take so long to back up one movie. Now when I burn with DVDD it takes about 1 1/2 hours.
          Is there a way I can speed up this process.

One more question: Once I use DVD Shrink, can I save my files on a disc and later on burn the files? Sometimes I may not be able to burn when I use DVD Shrink, but I need to free up space on my harddrive. I don't want to have to Shrink the movie again.

Thanks
          rcarter

Comment

• sfheath
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Sep 2003

The speed problem is merely a question of not letting the burner buffer empty whilst trying to burn the media. Slower burn speeds are recommended for better reliability anyway.

Once I use DVD Shrink, can I save my files on a disc and later on burn the files? Sometimes I may not be able to burn when I use DVD Shrink, but I need to free up space on my harddrive.

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here. Shrink writes to your hard drive before Decrypter/Nero then burns to media. You are not commited to doing this all in one operation. Simply uncheck the appropriate links in Shrink and target output to hard drive.
            This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• rcarter
              • Jan 2005

The question is if: When I use DVD Shrink to save my files to the hard drive, can those files be save to a disc and then later on use those files on the disc to actually burn the files?

rcarter

Comment

• jmet
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2002

"The question is if: When I use DVD Shrink to save my files to the hard drive, can those files be save to a disc and then later on use those files on the disc to actually burn the files?
                "
                You could save the files to disc, then when you need to re-burn them just simply copy and paste them to your hard drive off that disk. Then when done with them, delete them as you already have them saved on a disc.

Comment

Working...