Anyone other than me having problems backing up Blackball?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dominick
    • Feb 2005

Anyone other than me having problems backing up Blackball?

I have been trying to backup Blackball using dvd decrypter and everytime I try I get an error message. Is this happening to anyone else? TIA
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

1) What is the SPECIFIC error message generated by DVD Decrypter?

2) What version number of DVD Decrypter are you using?

Comment

• Dominick
      • Feb 2005

Thanks for the reply. Here is a screen shot of the error message. My version is 3.5.2.0
      Attached Files

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Interpretation: Tracking servo failure"

This appears to be a physical problem with your burner/reader.

You might try running a DVD/CD cleaning disc on it. Maxell makes one that retails for approximately $10US...

Comment

• Dominick
          • Feb 2005

Hmm.. I tried using two different burners and only had this problem with blackball. I just tried backing up a different dvd and it went fine. Do you think it is the dvd?

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"I tried using two different burners and only had this problem with blackball. I just tried backing up a different dvd and it went fine. Do you think it is the dvd?"

Certainly could be (although the error message wouldn't seem to support that).

1) Does the ORIGINAL COMMERCIAL DVD play properly, from start to finish, on your PC?

2) Try cleaning the DVD

Comment

• Jeek
              • Jan 2005

What's with this sugary "backup" term you guys use? What you're doing is piracy, and it is illegal.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

To Jeek

"What's with this sugary "backup" term you guys use? What you're doing is piracy, and it is illegal."

I'd suggest you do a bit more research, as legality is 'ofttimes more complicated than it may, at first blush, appear to be.

In the U.S. and a multitude of other countries throughout the world, copyright laws permit OWNERS/PURCHASERS of commercial media to make one backup copy of said media for protection against loss/damage to the original media.

Of course, in many instances, one has to find the means of replicating copy-protected software.

What HAS been found to be in violation of the law (in the U.S.), is PROVIDING (NOT using) the means for circumventing copy protection.

What this means is that those who have created, distributed and/or sold programs such as "DECSS" and 123 Studio's "DVDXCopy", DVD95Copy, (freeware) "DVD Shrink", DVD Decrypter, SmartRipper, and others, are in violation of the law, but the end user of such software is NOT - as long as he/she has PURCHASED the commercial media being backed up...

Additionally, regarding these forums in particular; I'd suggest you CAREFULLY read the posted Rules. They CLEARLY stipulate that postings having anything to do with videos obtained other than by purchase are in violation of the rules of these forums. Such threads may be closed and the poster may be banned from further posting to these forums.
                Last edited by setarip; 21 Feb 2005, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Working...