Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • B0hunt3r39
    • Jan 2005

DVD Playback

This is driving me mad, I updated all my firmware, got rid of all my software that dealt with DVD recording, changed disk brands and still I can't get the glitches out of playback on the movies I copy. The video card I have is an nvidia 64 meg mx400, could it be possible that it's the video card? I use a Lite on DVDrw please give me some hints guys. And thanks for the ones you have already offered.
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

to clarify, what speed are you burning at? no faster than 4x is reccomended.

have you tried at 1x or 2x? have you defragmented you HD recently? if i were you i'd throw those memorex discs in the bush they are not compatible with lite-on writers(as per their tech support).

i also use a lite-on, verbatim works well, optodisc have been great.
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• B0hunt3r39
      • Jan 2005

Thanks for the reply, yes I defrag my hard drive regularly, I quit using memorex and bought some sony. I will try the verbatim though. I do record at 4x and no I haven't tried at the slower recording speeds.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

1) Do the ORIGINAL, COMMERCIAL DVDs that you own and are copying playback properly?

2) When ripping, compressing, and/or burning, make certain to turn off ALL unnecessary programs that may be running (foreground or background), including Internet connections...

Comment

• B0hunt3r39
          • Jan 2005

The last 5 or six times I have copied DVD's I turned off my firewall and everything I could think of that might cause a problem. I just copied two movies, one was the manchurian candidate, it froze up about 10 minutes in, the other was cat woman and it works fine. I use DVD shrink 3.2 and copy only the main movie and remove whatever else I can to get the compression quality as high as possible. They are burnt automatically with nero, I never get any error messages it always goes smooth except for the glitching and freeze ups

Comment

• jmet
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2002

Download a program called "DVDINFOPro".

On the "Manchurian Candidate" backup disc, run it through DVDINFOPro and see if it has any CRC errors (CRC errors = red blocks) on the disc.

Download DVDINFOPro here: http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

Comment

• B0hunt3r39
              • Jan 2005

I downloaded the free version, it said you can't get the full version without being registered, was this the version you spoke of

Comment

• B0hunt3r39
                • Jan 2005

Unfortunately Jmet I threw the manchurian candidate disk away, I never thought about having to check it again because it wouldn't even play. But I did download the free version of DVDinfopro that you spoke of

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

Again I ask:

Do the ORIGINAL, COMMERCIAL DVDs that you own and are copying playback properly?

Comment

• B0hunt3r39
                    • Jan 2005

Yes they play fine

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

Do these burned DVDs exhibit the same problematic behaviour when playing on your PC and on a standalone player, or only one or the other? (If so, which one?)

Try running a DVD/CD cleaning disc on both your burner and your standalone player(s). Maxell makes one that retails for approximately $10US...

Comment

Working...