X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • caricell
    • Feb 2005

DVD Shrink / DVD Decrypt error

Hi!
    I have been reading these forums to try to solve a problem I have and am ALMOST there. Maybe with someone's help, I can get this done.

I have a DVD of home movies that was made for me. It plays FINE on my regular DVD player. I need to make copies for family members.

When I try to open the DVD in DVD Shrink (latest version), I get error message: DVD Shrink encountered and error and cannot continue. Invalid DVD Navigation structure.

Before you send me a link to the resolution to the problem, read on:

I then try to use DVD Decryptor to extract the files to my HD.
    It goes well...but when then use DVD Shrink and do OPEN FILES and point to the files, I get the same error.

I then delete the IFO files in the folder and use IFOedit to create new IFO files. I then try DVD Shrink and it works perfectly and burns the DVD using Nero.

So, here's the problem. On any DVD that I create new IFO files, the opening menu/select screen does not come up on the DVD. It just starts playing from the beginning. (I CAN select index-next on my remote and it WILL go to the next chapter, however I no longer have the "menu/select creen" where I can select which chapter I want to go to right from the beginning when the DVD os first inserted.

Can anyone tell me how I can get that screen back?

Thanks in advance for reading this and for any help you might offer. -Larry
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"I have a DVD of home movies that was made for me. It plays FINE on my regular DVD player. I need to make copies for family members."

Chances are EXTREMELY good that such a DVD has NO copy protection. If this is the case, simply do the following:

1) Copy the DVD's "VIDEO_TS" folder to your hard drive

2) Set NERO to "DVD-Video" mode - and copy ALL of the files in your hard drive's "VIDEO_TS" folder (BUT don't copy the folder itself) into NERO"s RED "VIDEO_TS" folder - and burn...

Comment

• caricell
      • Feb 2005

Setarip:
      Thanks for the reply...
      I've already tried copying the files. On two of them I get an error "cannot copy file. Cyclical redundancy check errors."

Yet doing it through DVD Decryptor I managed to get it onto my hard drive. But thats when I now get the invalid error message...

Comment

• cynthia
        Super Moderatress
        • Jan 2004

Rip the DVD to your hard disk with DVD Decrypter in ISO mode and burn the ISO file with DVD Decrypter.

Comment

• caricell
          • Feb 2005

Thanks for your response, Cynthia:

I tried ISO mode copy with DVDDecrypt yesterday, and it hung on a portion of the DVD and returning errors. I finannly stopped it once it hit over 300 retries.

What I don't understand is why does this DVD play PERFECTLY in a DVD player, yet I can't manipulate the files on my PC?

Last night I managed to get a little further with another DVD (from the same guy) that I was having problems with. I did a "reauthor" in DVD Shrink and was able to see the menu page. I burned it just the way it came up (without removing or changing anything) and the menu page shows when I pop in the DVD, but it doesnt stop there. It goes right past it and starts playing the DVD. (In other words, I dont get the chance to select what chapter I want to see.

So..I am still with two problems on two different DVDs. (Neither are encrypted by the way). (A third DVD I got from this gentleman
          came out just fine - and the title, when looking at it in Windows Explorer, has my name on it.)

DVD # 1: CRC errors when trying to copy the files. Errors and Continuous retries when trying to do ISO mode read. (FYI :When looking at the DVD in Windows Explorer, the title is Pinnacle Systems DVD.) I have tried wiping off the DVD numerous times. I dont see any scratches.

DVD 2: Doesnt stop at the menu. (Title ALSO Pinnacle Systems DVD).

I believe the person who made these DVDs for me used Pinnacle Software. I have read about some problems with that.

Any other suggestions?

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"What I don't understand is why does this DVD play PERFECTLY in a DVD player, yet I can't manipulate the files on my PC?"

Most standalone DVD players have better self-correcting/adjusting hardware/firmware than do DVD-ROMs and/or burners...

"Any other suggestions?"

Since this "same guy" has made at least ONE DVD for you that you ARE able to playback on your PC, ask him to re-make the others - on higher quality media. Make sure the media is compatible with both your PC's DVD-ROM or DVD burner, as well as your standalone DVD player. To determine the capabilities/limitations of your DVD burner, as well as media compatibility, go to:

(If necessary, open the Device Manager in the Control Panel to determine the make and model number)

To determine the capabilities/limitations of your specific brand and model of standalone DVD player, as well as media compatibility, go to:

Comment

• caricell
              • Feb 2005

Thanks, Setarip..
              I will probably be asking him to remake the two bad DVDs.

Unfortunately, the sites you gave me do not list EITHER my DVD player or burner.

They are:
              Player: Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1502
              Burner: I/O Magic I016dd (16x dual layer). Listed in Device Manager as BENQ DVD DD DW1620

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

For the info regarding your burner, at the site I suggested, go to:

(I entered "DW1620" [without the quotation marks])

Comment

• jmet
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2002

"Player: Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1502"
                  Just for clarification purposes, that is not a DVD player. That is your DVD-ROM. (Which I have the same exact model.)

And here are the specs for the DVD-ROM you (and I) have:

Brand Toshiba
                  Enclosure Type Internal
                  Interface IDE / EIDE
                  Manufacturer Part Number SDM1502-TA
                  Type DVD-ROM
                  Dimensions
                  Depth 7.6 in.
                  Height 1.65 in.
                  Weight 1.98 lb.
                  Width 5.75 in.
                  Key Features
                  Platform PC
                  Read Speed 48x (CD), 16x (DVD)
                  Miscellaneous
                  MPN SDM1502-TA
                  Package Qty. 15
                  Product ID 20131659
                  System Requirements
                  Operating System Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, Microsoft Windows 95, Microsoft Windows 2000
                  Technical Features
                  Tray Qty. 1
                  More Information
                  Toshiba, the creator of DVD, is proud to present its quickest drive yet. The SD-M1502 combines a massive data transfer power of a 16x DVD (21, 600kb/s) with an equally impressive 48x CD-ROM. This super quick performance allows consumers to effortlessly upgrade to DVD without suffering any loss of CD performance. The SD-M1502 is the ideal DVD solution for users who want to watch DVD movies, load and play lots of games and software. It also makes an ideal source drive because of its first class CD and DVD performance and its ability to read CD-R and CD-RW media at high speed.

Comment

• caricell
                    • Feb 2005

Folks:

I'm happy to say I've finnaly found a solution that fixed my problem.

First, I did a firmware upgrade on my DW1620 burner.
                    Then, it suddenly was able to recognize the homemade DVDs that the guy made for me. (It didnt recognize them before.)

I used DVDDecrypt to do an .iso read and then an .iso write to a DVD. For BOTH "bad" DVDs.

It worked!!

Thank you all for your help!!

One last question...is their a firmware upgrade anywhere for the DVD-ROM player mentioned above (Toshiba M1520) ?

Thanks!
                    -Larry

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

To caricell

Congratulations on resolving your dilemma!

"One last question...is their a firmware upgrade anywhere for the DVD-ROM player mentioned above (Toshiba M1520) ?"

If there is, it should be available at the appropriate page at the Toshiba website. Do you have any reason to believe you NEED some type of firmware update for your DVD-ROM/player?

Comment

• jmet
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2002

Thank you for your input setarip.

Bye..

Comment

• setarip
                          Retired
                          • Dec 2001

"Thank you for your input setarip. Bye.."

As always, my pleasure ;>}