DVD-ROM Door Not Opening

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mtrevelino
    • Feb 2005

Thanks joegib. I may give it a try. If it is only one paper clip that I have to use, I will see what happens. I haven't had my hair standing straight up in a while. If worst comes to worst, I will just lay the dvd player on the floor next to the pc and operate on it. I will first try dis-connecting the data cable as experi-mentor said and see if the tray will open. The more that I think about it, I think that I bumped the drive while it was open and may have cocked something. I am still hoping that the opening drive gear is one tooth off.
    Thanks for all the advice!
    Mike....

Comment

• mtrevelino
      • Feb 2005

Good news, bad news. I was able to take the dvd apart and power it on the bench. I first tried to disconnect the data cable, power on the pc, and it still did not work. I managed to get it to work correctly on the bench. When I re-installed the dvd, my pc did not see it at all, but the door kept on opening, it would not stay closed, I do not know what happened. So after two hours, I purchased a new dvd drive, installed it, and it works.
      Thanks for everyone's input.
      Mike.....

Comment

• Experi-Mentor
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Nov 2004

drives can be temperamental when at a faulty stage.
        sorry you had to go & purchase another one. was kinda hopin' that i/we could resolve your problem without you having to fork-out $$

but, your up 'n' runnunig again & that's the main thing

cheers.

Comment

• cynthia
          Super Moderatress
          • Jan 2004

Don't forget to use the close/open button...

Comment

• sfheath
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Sep 2003

Hi folks, thanks for the info Mentor and Joegib .. should be most useful
            Mtrevelino, sorry to hear you had to pay out but Mentor is right; once they go goofy they can be a real pain. I have drives here that suddenly stopped reading CD-R, one that reads a directory but not inside a folder and at least six that need the tray pulling .. sheesh!
            This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• Experi-Mentor
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Nov 2004

## sheesh ##
              so very conservatively phrased (lmao)

Comment

Working...