DVD media Questions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Norm
    • Dec 2004

That drive supports bitsetting. Go here and get booktype 135 utility http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/English/.../e_utility.asp

Here is a forum that discusses liteon drives http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44
    "Women"

can't live with 'em........Pass the Beernuts

Comment

• mjpinsky
      • Jan 2003

If it ain't broke ....don't fix it.
      If you have had no problems, stay with what works.

However, the DVD-ROM bit will work in ANY type of player as it is the std that is on all commercially sold movies.

I had a problem with "yuk" store brand (CompUSA) -r media dying after a few plays. Was given a few TDX +r disks, which I changed to DVD-ROM and after over a dozen plays they still work. If I had used better -r disks, would I have gotten the same great results? I don't know. Could be. But, since I started with the +r TDK disks, and changed the bit, i have not had any problems. Next time I see a great sale on Verbatim disks, which I am told produces a really good quality -r media disk, I might try a small pack of their -r disks to see if they will work time-after-time.

Comment

• theeloved1
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Norm
        That drive supports bitsetting. Go here and get booktype 135 utility http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/English/.../e_utility.asp

Here is a forum that discusses liteon drives http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44
        Thank you, thank you, and did I mention thank you

Comment

• Norm
          • Dec 2004

Your Welcome

Glad I could be of assistance.
          "Women"

can't live with 'em........Pass the Beernuts

Comment

• Triumphdog
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by theeloved1
            I have a LiteOn SOHW 1213S...should I be looking into this bitsetting and buying +Rs? or sticking with my Memorex -Rs that seem to be working nicely?
            If its not broke then dont fix it...

Comment

• Tim Who?
              • Nov 2004

I have a question about dye types and how to tell the difference between them...

It took me ages to find a good, reliable brand that worked on my setups. I used Datawrite Grey -R 8x, with Fujicode dye. Recently, my regular supplier informed me that Datawrite had switched to Prodisc dye and they would no longer be stocking Datawrite Grey because of this.

I bought 100 Datawrite Grey from eBay, which were sold as Fuji dye, but so far my burns with these have failed.

How can I tell the difference between a Fujicode and Prodisc version of the disc? They look the same as my previous batches, but they are definitely not performing anywhere to the same standard.

Comment

• blutach
                Not a god of digital video
                • Oct 2004

You will need to open DVD Decrypter, press R, pop in a disk and get the media ID code. This assumes the media IDs are different for each type of dye.

See http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=48417

Regards
                Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• Tim Who?
                  • Nov 2004

Thanks. I also downloaded DVD Identifier and it's done the job nicely.

Comment

• Experi-Mentor
                    Digital Video Master
                    Digital Video Master
                    • Nov 2004

## I have a question about dye types and how to tell the difference between them ##
                    for a quick check & if compatibility is not an issue, then a basic visual check can also be done.
                    the "darker" the dye - the better it will hold the data.
                    just don't be fooled by the "label side" colour/s (when comparing) ...... oh, & a keen eye comes in handy too
                    the above seems old, outdated & not precise, but, i know lots of people that swear by it.

Comment

• ahharding
                      • Mar 2005

I've had my Sony DVD recorder for a month. Everything went fine with the Sony DVD+R media I've beem using as far as compatibility issues are concerned. Then I purchased Fuji DVD+R and now they won't play in my DVD-Rom drive. Same format, differnt brand. I've ordered TDK DVD-R media now, because they are ranked #1, according to the research I've done online, and % of compatability is higher than +R. But I will still buy the Sony media whenever they are on sale because Ive seen online that burn is deeper for +R media than -R media..

Comment

• DarKnyt
                        • Oct 2004

Originally posted by ahharding
                        I've had my Sony DVD recorder for a month. Everything went fine with the Sony DVD+R media I've beem using as far as compatibility issues are concerned. Then I purchased Fuji DVD+R and now they won't play in my DVD-Rom drive. Same format, differnt brand. I've ordered TDK DVD-R media now, because they are ranked #1, according to the research I've done online, and % of compatability is higher than +R. But I will still buy the Sony media whenever they are on sale because Ive seen online that burn is deeper for +R media than -R media..
                        I have a Sony 710a and been through close to 300 Sony 8x media from Compusa. Maybe 2 or 3 coasters.

Picked up a bunch of TDK 8x -R on sale from Circuit City and they have been horrible - 70% failure rate easy. Just glad I was able to take most of them back.

Comment

Working...