Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brookers
    • Mar 2005

Cant back up (red) dvd, Shrink fails while trying to open disc

I was trying to back up a dvd, (Layer cake) using dvd shrink. when using "opendisc", it starts off ok but when it hits about 25% it cant open anymore. This is the with same dvd decrypter, starts off fine then slows up and keeps retrying.

It seems that the menus can be copied, but the movie is blocked.

The dvd is red in colour

Any suggestions? anyone?
  • Experi-Mentor
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Nov 2004

welcome to the forum

have you tried fully playing it on your pc ? any errors there ?
    what is the full error title ?

Comment

• Brookers
      • Mar 2005

the dvd plays fine

ive not watched it fully on my pc, I have though on my dvd player and its fine.

with shrink an error message doesn’t appear, the view window turns black and the read rate slows down to 0mb. At this point its obvious that nothing is gonna happen so i cancel the process.
      This is the only dvd that ive had with this problem.

Even when i try back up individual parts, the menu files are ok, it doesn't like the movie file.

Comment

• Experi-Mentor
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Nov 2004

i assume you know roughly where the error is on the disc (certain part of the movie) (??)
        try bringing it to just prior the part where you think the error is, & continue to watch it from there onwards (to see it will play through/past) with whatever media player you use.

try using another dvd-rom/combo reader (if you have one).
        also, you might want to have a closer look if there's any damage to the disc.

another thing you can try - dvdshrink 2.3 (rip it uncompressed)
        no need to uninstall your current dvdshrink
        You should use the newer versions of DVD Shrink since these versions are old and no longer supported. DVDShrink download DVDShrink English version 2.3 [366KB] released June 15, 2003 freeware (all versions 2.3) Dutch | French | German | Greek | Italian | Japanese | Norwegian | Portuguese | Slovak | Spanish | Swedish […]

Comment

• nwg
          Left *****
          • Jun 2003

If it is the R2. You need a PSL file with DVD Decrypter.

See this thread.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"The dvd is red in colour"

That sounds like one of those 48 hours self-destruct rental DVDs...

Comment

• nwg
              Left *****
              • Jun 2003

Several DVD's in R2 (UK at least) are red on both sides.

The first was Teminator 3. It had the letters T3 printed inside the DVD and could be seen from the data side of the disc.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

As an alternative to the suggestion by "nwg", you could simply use (commercial) DVD95Copy version 2.14 to rip, copy, and burn your Region2 "ArccoS" copy-protected DVD...

Comment

• dvd dog
                  • Mar 2005

LAYER CAKE/RES EVIL APOCOLYPSE

HI EVERYONE REGARDING LAYER CAKE AND RES EVIL APPOCOLYPSE THESE DISC ARE BOTH MANUFACTURED BY SONY AND USE EXTRA COPY PROTECTION RES EVIL CAN BE DONE BY RIPPING ON TO YA HARD DRIVE USING DVD DECRYPTER AND THEN DVD TO ONE

LAYER CAKE IS ANOTHER STORY AND USES DIFFERENT SYSTEM AGAIN (FLAGGS UP AS CPPM?) THE ERROR MESSAGE THAT U ALL GET IS NOT BECAUSE THE DISC IS SCRATCHED OR FAULTY THIS IS PART OF THE COPY PROTECTION AS IT MAKES DVD SHRINK OR DVD DECRYPTER THINK THAT THERE ARE READ ERRORS SO YOU CAN CLEAN THE DISC ALL U LIKE IT WON'T MAKE ANY DIFERENCE SORRY THATS AS FAR AS WE HAVE GOT AT THE MOMENT BY THE WAY THIS DISC IS R2 + R4 WITH NO RCE

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

To dvd dog

I realize this is your first post and you are well-intentioned but:

1) Please turn off your "CapsLock" key

2) If you carefully RE-read this thread, you'll see that there are TWO complete solutions provided regarding "Layer Cake", as opposed to your, "SORRY THATS AS FAR AS WE HAVE GOT AT THE MOMENT"

3) The methodology you describe for backing up "Resident Evil Apocalypse" has been long ago noted in the DVD Shrink-specific sub-forums here. The "ArccoS" protection system created by SONY is well-known...

See my "sticky" at:

Comment

Working...