• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Adam40291
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Mar 2005

Anyone Else Used this Media

In another thread some of you have been giving me a lot of help with some burning problems I've had...and its all been very educational...thank you. But I have a new question:

I have been attempting to use CompUSA DVD+R 4x discs in my burner, I got them because they were sold in a pack of 100 discs and my wife works at CompUSA and with her discount we got the 100 discs for $20.00. Has anyone else out there used this media? If you have, what has been your success with it, if any?
  • Mig$y
    Retired
    • Jan 2004

Thread moved

From the consumer feedback on this media over at Videohelp.com this media is to be avoided.

Last edited by Mig$y; 18 Mar 2005, 08:20 AM.

Comment

• Adam40291
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Mar 2005

Sorry to have posted this thread in the wrong area...but thanks for the heads up that these seem to be bad discs.

Comment

• Mig$y
        Retired
        • Jan 2004

No need to apologise, the "Blank Media" sub-forum was only created yesterday, I thought I would christen it

Comment

• Adam40291
          Gold Member
          Gold Member
          • Mar 2005

Ahhh! I see...Mig$y trick Newbie!!!!

FYI to all users out there...the CompUSA discs that I asked about are to be avoided! After reading the reports at videohelp.com and then utilizing some advice regarding labels, I have confirmed that my playback problems have all been related to media, not to software/hardware problems!

Comment

• TNT
            DVD Shrinker
            • Jan 2004

I bought them on sale for $20 - $5 rebate. I bought both the +R's and the -R's. The -R's were made by Princo and give errors at 4x but burn fine at 2x. The +R's burn fine at 2.4x
            Beauty is in the eye of the Beer-Holder.
            I'm in shape. ROUND is a shape. - George Carlin

How to choose an HDTV, Step by Step

Comment

• Adam40291
              Gold Member
              Gold Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by TNT
              I bought them on sale for $20 - $5 rebate. I bought both the +R's and the -R's. The -R's were made by Princo and give errors at 4x but burn fine at 2x. The +R's burn fine at 2.4x
              Okay, you've intrigued me...so you're saying that I may be able to salvage these discs...so...I'm using DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink burning with Nero, I haven't been able to change the burn speed...any advice on how to do so?

Comment

• TNT
                DVD Shrinker
                • Jan 2004

There is a little drop down window which lets you set the burn speed in decrypter. You can select the appropriate burn speed there. With any media, if you get errors, the first thing you should do is slow the burning. I know many members of this forum burn at 4x although they have the ability to go to 8x or 16x.

I always burn with decrypter. I used to use Nero, but it fiddled around too much. Absolutely no problems with decrypter.

Comment

• hobbes79
                  • Mar 2005

I've used the CompUSA DVD+R discs. Also thought 100 for $20 (without even using MIRs) was too good a deal to miss. My experience with them has been a little hit and miss.

Of 5 DVDs I've burned with them so far, 1 had a problem while playing. It stuttered, skipped and then stopped completely during playback. I skipped the troublesome chapter and all was well again and played right through to the end. When I took the disc out, I saw a pretty large mark on the disc that looked like a smear. The "smear" turned out to be a defect on the disc, and was actually very easy to spot. Everytime I burn one now, I check the disc visually after I'm done to see if it's ok. I've seen the "smear" issue one more time, and threw it away without even playing it. I've also run the Nero Checker a couple of times, just to make sure, even if I don't see a problem.

At 20 cents a disc, it's hardly a big deal when I have to throw one out, but I will be pleased when I get through them all and invest in some more reliable media.

EDIT: From looking at the videohelp link, the "smears" I speak of have been seen before:

"Media was returned to CompUSA because there were spots in the die. A random check of about 50 DVDs found about 10 discs that showed inconsistent die with very small to medium sized spots in the die color. I was afraid to trust the discs with my family videos."

Looks like I might even be able to check them before I burn them.
                  Last edited by hobbes79; 19 Mar 2005, 02:33 AM.

Comment

• Adam40291
                    Gold Member
                    Gold Member
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by TNT
                    There is a little drop down window which lets you set the burn speed in decrypter. You can select the appropriate burn speed there. With any media, if you get errors, the first thing you should do is slow the burning. I know many members of this forum burn at 4x although they have the ability to go to 8x or 16x.

I always burn with decrypter. I used to use Nero, but it fiddled around too much. Absolutely no problems with decrypter.
                    I played around with it last night and discovered how to change the burn speed. I burned 2 test discs at the lower speed and both came out fine...so far so good...I've decided at this point, not to go through the hassle of returning them and just use them up and not buy them anymore. Thanks for the advice about the burn speed though. It's worked pretty good so far.

Comment

• TNT
                      DVD Shrinker
                      • Jan 2004

N/P

I've pretty much decided to do the same thing. Looked like returning them would be too much of a hassle.

Comment

• blutach
                        Not a god of digital video
                        • Oct 2004

Originally posted by TNT
                        Now, there's an intelligent remark!!!

Moderators, you should duplicate TNT's post in every forum here.

Regards
                        Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                        [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• TNT
                          DVD Shrinker
                          • Jan 2004

Glad you liked it!

Comment

• cynthia
                            Super Moderatress
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by blutach
                            Moderators, you should duplicate TNT's post in every forum here.
                            I'll shrink yours with the same amount...

I wonder if this will be the hi-jack thread of the month...
                            or this one?
                            Last edited by cynthia; 27 Mar 2005, 02:40 AM.

Comment

• ahharding
                              • Mar 2005

Through my research i have learned that Compusa disks are manufactored by primco and are of poor quality. TDK, Sony and Fuji are better rated, but they say beware of fakes.

Comment

Working...