X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • troublechuter1
    • Mar 2005

Need help with Plextor PX-716UF.

Hi, All.

I purchased a Plextor PX-716UF external DVD burner and am having trouble getting it to work. I could really use some help. I feel like I'm looking for a needle in a haystack and I'm not even sure where to find the haystack. My apologies in advance for this long post, but I'm really stuck.

I have seen many more posts about the 716A than the 716UF drive. Please remember that this is a 716UF drive--it's an external drive.

Also, can anyone definitively answer this question...Is an ASPI layer needed for the PX-716UF to work? If so, what version? (Where does one get this version, etc.?)

My setup:

CPU=P4 2.4Ghz,
    Motherboard=Abit BH7,
    Internal Plextor Premium CD burner connected to motherboard's IDE1 controller connector (no other device connected to that cable),
    Promise Ultra 133 TX2 PCI IDE controller; IDE1 port=Maxtor model 6y080p0 80GB hard drive (C: drive) only, IDE2 port=Maxtor 6y080p0 80GB hard drive ("project") drive only,
    Adaptec Fireconnect firewire card (3 Firewire ports, no USB ports),
    External Plextor PX-716UF DVD burner (can run off of USB *OR* Firewire 400),
    WinXP Pro,
    512MB Crucial RAM.

"Project" drive is the drive where DVD image file(s) are stored.

Both of the hard drives are jumpered as "Master" devices. I believe the CDburner is also jumpered as Master. (I tried changing the project drive to "slave." It didn't help.)

Just so it's clear...the hard drives are connected to the PCI IDE controller card. (IDE1=First and only Maxtor drive attached to the IDE1 connector, IDE2=Second and only Maxtor drive connected to the IDE2 connector.) The CDburner is connected to the onboard motherboard IDE1 port.

As of this writing, I'm not using the Firewire connection, but the Firewire card is installed in the system. Nothing is connected to the Firewire card. For all tests right now, the DVD burner is connected directly to a USB port on the motherboard, using the USB cable supplied with the DVD burner. My plan from the beginning was to use the Firewire connection. I'm using USB now because that's what the Plextor technician that I spoke with said to do.

I recorded a Billy Graham special directly to a DVD-R disc on my Sansui settop DVD recorder. I put this DVD into the Plextor DVD burner and was able to view the DVD on my computer. I then created an image file from the DVD to the project hard drive. That all seemed to work okay.

But, when I went to try and make a copy of the DVD from the image file to a blank Sony DVD-R (at 4X), I got the error message which is shown below. Please note that I chose the "simulate"
    option so as to avoid making a coaster.

It appears that the Sansui DVD recorder finalized to 2 tracks--the first track seems to be a short one and, my guess is, it's "titling." The second track is much longer and, my guess is that it's the actual program content.

I tried the same simulate test with the Plextor-supplied blank DVD+R (at 4X) and received the same error message. I tried burning a Sony -R DVD (at 4X) and it failed with the same error. I
    also tried disconnecting the IDE cable to the Plextor CD burner; I got the same error.

-------------------------------------------------------
    PlexTools Professional V2.17 CD/DVD Copy
    Copyright (C) 1999-2004 Plextor SA/NV
    14 March 2005

Software information
    --------------------
    Operating system: Windows XP V5.01.2600 Service Pack 1
    ASPI Manager: n/a
    Description : n/a

Source Information
    ------------------
    E:\bgea031205.pxi

Destination Information
    -----------------------
    USB Interface 3 ID: - Maximum # Targets: -

Description: USB Mass Storage Device
    Type : Universal Serial Bus controllers

Port Driver: USBSTOR.SYS
    Provider :
    Description: USB Mass Storage Class Driver (Microsoft Corporation)
    Version : 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
    Date :

ID 0: PLEXTOR DVDR PX-716A V1.02 (S/N:146014) (0.0.0A - 0.3.34A)
    Read speed: 5-12X CAV, Jumper settings: n/a, Buffer Underrun Proof enabled
    Blank DVD-R, SONY04D1

CD/DVD Copy Log
    ---------------
    Selected write speed:
    include: UPC: yes ISRC: yes CD+G: no
    1st session only : no
    Allow Overburning : no Leave Disc Open: no
    Audio Error Detection : disabled
    -Advanced error detection disabled
    -Maximum errors : unlimited
    -Allow Speed Down : no
    Read Error Recovery Strategy : 1. Report Errors only (no recovery action).

Start Simulation Copy 1/1
    Simulating Write Lead In
    Simulating Write Track 1 Start:00:00.00 Length:07:16.68 64 MB
    Illegal request (code 052C00)

I got the same error when I tried using a blank Maxell DVD-R disc. I get the same error if I use the USB or Firewire connection. (The error log above was obtained while using the USB connection.)

I called Plextor Support. I was surprised at how little information I got out of the call.

Basically, the tech. just wanted to troubleshoot the Plextor DVD burner and make sure that was working. Beyond that, he had--in his words--"no more information that he could give me," and that, "I was on my own and need to be creative in how I troubleshoot the problem." He's the one that had me switch from using the Firewire connection to the USB connection. And, again, I'll continue to use the USB connection until I get beyond this first hurdle. According to him, the Plextor DVD burner is working.

I have found little information on the Internet so far, regarding the particular error message that I see above. I checked the appropriate Plextor FAQ's and have scoped out a couple of "DVD" related websites.

I downloaded and FLASHED the latest BIOS for the Promise Ultra 133 TX2 PCI IDE controller. I also downloaded and installed the latest driver(s) for this card. I tried the above test again (after EACH of these updates), but neither the BIOS update or the driver(s) update made a difference.

I downloaded the latest 716UF firmware update and flashed the 716UF drive. I downloaded and ran
    the latest version of Plextools (V2.20). I still get the same error message.

I also ran the self-test on the DVD burner--this is a matter of flipping the self-test switch on the drive. It passed. (I ran the self test with the Plextor-supplied blank Verbatim DVD+R
    disc.)

I emailed Plextor tech. support. They replied. I emailed them
    back...my answer is shown in []. Here's their first and only response to me so far:

From Plextor-->"Thank you for contacting Plextor Email Support.

What speed are you burning at? This suggests that it is burning too fast.

We would need for you to run a selftest on the drive, as outlined by the users manual. This will let us know if we have a hardware or software problem. We would need to know the blink codes at the end of the test to determine what is wrong."

My reply to Plextor-->[The "simulate" and "burn" were attempted at 4X, the lowest I could go.

I ran the self test with the Plextor-supplied DVD disc. There were no blink codes; the disc was ejected at the end of the test, which, according to the manual, indicates that it passed the test.]

I would appreciate any information/suggestion(s) that anyone might have on this.

I would be happy to post a screenshot here if someone could give me basic instructions on how to do it.

Thank you for your time in reading this lengthy post and thanks, in advance, for any feedback/suggestions/information.
  • cynthia
    Super Moderatress
    • Jan 2004

Have you checked out if there is any updates for your motherboards BIOS and the drivers for the mother boards chipset?

Comment

• troublechuter1
      • Mar 2005

Thanks for the reply, Cynthia.

A day or two ago, I downloaded the latest updates for my motherboard. I was hesitating doing these update(s) because

1.) I didn't think I'd have to go down to that level for something that, to me, looks like an error related so something much more basic.

2.) I'm nervous to FLASH the BIOS on my system since I have a lot invested in my setup.

I hope very soon to do these updates--like in the next day or two.

Comment

Working...