Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admb600
    • Mar 2005

cannot backup DVD twice CRC error

Hi all, I am using DVD decryptor to rip the DVD to my hard drive, and then use DVD shrink to encode and burn back onto the blank media.

I never have problems when making backups from an original disc, however if I try to make a backup from another backup I get a CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) Error message.

I understand that CRC is a packet error checking system and that compares the original packet (on the DVD) with the current packet. If the packets do not match, the computer thinks it is corrupt and deletes it.

Aside from the encryption, I heard rumours that a "shift key" is used in DVD's so that after burining one backup you are unable to create another from that disc. The packet being copied from the backup disc will shift to a different value during transfer to trigger a CRC error.

Has anyone got any views on this, is it true? is there away around it?

HOW DO I MAKE BACKUPS FROM BACKUPS!!??

Other info
    - I have tried more than one type of media
    (incase it was because it was cheap disc)

- The discs are not scratched in the slighest.

- I have tried ripping from a backup using , DVD decrypter, DVD shrink, By normally viewing the files within windows and dragging them into a folder on the hardrive (I have also tried this while "AnyDVD v4.6.3.1")

Thanx in advance!!!
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

"however if I try to make a backup from another backup I get a CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) Error message."
    A CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) error is DVD Shrink's and/or DVD Decrypter's way of telling you that it cannot read the disc (DVD). It is caused from the disc being to dirty (fingerprints, smudges, etc.) or being to scratched. First, try cleaning the DVD. You can try toothpaste to lessen the severity of the scratches. (By no means am I saying that you will totally restore the DVD back to original condition, all your doing is just trying to get DVD Shrink to successfully read it.) If DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter still generates this error message, I suggest returning the original for a different copy.

Before you return it, try using the latest version of DVD Decrypter. The latest Version is Currently: Version 3.5.4.0 Get it here: http://www.dvddecrypter.com/index.php?act=download

Use DVD Decrypter to "rip" the DVD to your hard drive in "File" mode - and from the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "All files" (NOT "movie files").

Then use DVD Shrink to "Open files" (NOT "Open Disk") - and select "VIDEO_TS.IFO" or the actual "VIDEO_TS" folder.

A good tutorial on how to accomplish this is located here: http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=45238

"Aside from the encryption, I heard rumours that a "shift key" is used in DVD's so that after burining one backup you are unable to create another from that disc. The packet being copied from the backup disc will shift to a different value during transfer to trigger a CRC error.

Has anyone got any views on this, is it true? is there away around it?"
    Not true.

"HOW DO I MAKE BACKUPS FROM BACKUPS!!??"
    Using Nero: http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=45497

Using DVD Decrypter: http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=48358

"(I have also tried this while "AnyDVD v4.6.3.1")"
    There is no need to use AnyDVD.

Comment

• cynthia
      Super Moderatress
      • Jan 2004

Sounds as your backup didn't get burned ok. If you run it thru www.dvdinfopro.com or nero you will see that there are problems on your disc. You need to adress your burning problems otherwise you will end up with these problems.

Comment

• admb600
        • Mar 2005

thanx, but none of these methods worked. I tried it with a disc that I had only just backed so it was completely scratch free.

If I try to copy the "entrie disc" in nero it fails.

Using DVD decryptor throws an error at 45%.

Any other ideas?

Comment

• jmet
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2002

What brand of media are you trying to copy to? How fast are you trying to burn?

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"Using DVD decryptor throws an error at 45%."

What was the EXACT error message generated by DVD Decrypter?

Comment

• Experi-Mentor
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Nov 2004

## but none of these methods worked. I tried it with a disc that I had only just backed so it was completely scratch free ##

"scratch free" possibly, but how well was it burnt (?)
              in my opinion, the best way to test a burn is to try & rip it

Comment

• admb600
                • Mar 2005

The quality of the DVD's when watching them are perfect, no glitches, nothing! I have a dual layer NEC drive capable of burning single layer at 16x but I am burning them at 2x to maximise quality.

I am thinking that I must have just been really unlucky and used bad discs 3 times in a row.

Can anyone reccommend DVD-R and DVD-RW that is best in comparison to price?

Thanx again

Comment

• sfheath
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Sep 2003

Look up www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters for your model and suitable media.
                  This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• ajg
                    • Jan 2005

i have had the same on 4 or 5 discs too. i think if i had verified these discs the errors would have shown up then. it is funny to me tho how they will play great, al menus work without a glitch, but will not be copied or ripped. i cannot remember the exact error messages i got, but they would stop at different times during the copy/rip?? sorry no help, but wanted to say i have had the same type of problem

Comment

• jm1647
                      An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
                      • Apr 2005

In DVD Decrypter click tools, then settings, on the I/O tab, click the box next to ignore read errors. This has worked for me when I got CRC errors when trying to backup a backup that plays ok.

Comment

• admb600
                        • Mar 2005

mate you are a legend!! changing this option in DVD decryctor works!

Comment

• jm1647
                          An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
                          • Apr 2005

@admb600 - my pleasure - we are all in this together and if it were not for forums like this, we would all throw our 'puters in the trash out of frustration. We're all Musketteers "All for One and One for All" (I think that's the way it went)

Enjoy!

Comment

Working...