Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • varanus87
    • Apr 2005

not again

Two problems now. I burned quite a few dvds until I ran out any my trial for the program expired. By the time I renewed my trial and got new dvds, I noticed that my computer has been having problems staying alive. The blue screen of death always came up when I opened a certain program, so I uninstalled it. Then it started to come up when I had too many folders open. My computer is one big freezy mess. Even typing up this message causes it to freeze, and I have to wait about 15 seconds to see what I just typed. Anyway, I noticed that the blue screen of death told me to update my BIOS. First of all, what is a BIOS and how do you update it? Second of all, I have the same problems that I had before, but I'm not sure how I fixed it the first time, so I need your help for that. It took me about 24 hours to defrag my hard drive, and that didn't help. It also took me 24 hours to copy a dvd just to find out that it can't burn onto a dvd for one reason or another. I tried the firmware thing, but no luck.

One step at a time, right? Does anyone know how to update the BIOS, and can someone give me a program name or websote to go to for one?

Thanks for the help so far and thanks in advance.

Comment

• jm1647
      An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
      • Apr 2005

If you have never flashed a BIOS and something goes wrong(power glitch, read error for example) you can turn your PC into a doorstep.

Did you defrag using windows? Defrag using dos or in safe mode.

It might be time for a fresh install of OS. Window$ needs it when things really go bonkers and a restore won't do it.

Comment

• varanus87
        • Apr 2005

Well, it won't let me restore anyway. I'm not sure how I defrag it, I just use dics defragmenter, so I guess it's wondows. How do you defrag using dos? This also may seem like a stupid question, but what is OS, and how do you install it (or reinstall it)?

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

To varanus87

1) I, personally, am not aware of any reason your computer would generate a message to "update your bios". Are you sure it wasn't a message regarding a dying CMOS battery?

2) "How do you defrag using dos? This also may seem like a stupid question, but what is OS, and how do you install it (or reinstall it)?"

With no insult intended, based on your apparent limited technical knowledge, you may want to have a technician deal with your problem, rather than risk doing further damage to it yourself...

Comment

• varanus87
            • Apr 2005

I am positive that I got a message about updating me BIOS on the blue screen of death when it came up on my computer.

Your second comment isn't such a bad idea

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"Your second comment isn't such a bad idea"

Better safe than sorry!

Be wary of highly opinionated and often unsubstantiated statements made in response to your questions at these forums...

Comment

• varanus87
                • Apr 2005

I burn at 2x or 4x, but I bought anydvd and clonedvd2, so I can't really use nero. I turn off all programs, and the only thing that I notice besides the "media write error" message is that when clonedvd2 begins to burn onto a DVD+R, it says "setting up, erasing". Does it think that I am using a rewritable disc? Other than these two occasions I have not had any problems regarding dvd type and dvd burning program.

Comment

Working...