X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mattstan
    • Feb 2005

'Phantom' subtitle track.

Hi,

I seem to have a 'phantom' subtitle track with the R2 DVD of _A Bridge Too Far_.

The movie is multi-lingual, there is Dutch, German and English spoken. When the DVD starts you get subtitles when Dutch or German is spoken and no subtitles when English is being spoken. WinDVD shows that the Audio is English and subtitles are disabled.

There are 4 English subtitle tracks which act as follows:

1) English subtitles all the time regardless of spoken language.
    2) The same as 1) but with added subtitles like 'truck revs'.
    3) English subtitles for Director's audio commentary.
    4) English trivia, interesting facts about the film.

The other 12 subtitle tracks are all foreign language tracks.

If you switch to any of the English language subtitle tracks you get the English language subtitles all the time, but if you then turn them off, back to the setting that WinDVD was apparently set to in the first place, you do not get back to the initial situation of subtitles when Dutch or German is spoken and none when English is spoken, instead you get no subtitles at all. It is now apparently not possible to return to the original situation of subtitles when Dutch or German is spoken and none when English is spoken, unless you close WinDVD and reload the DVD.

Where is this 'phantom' subtitle track coming from? I've re-authored the DVD using DVD Shrink 'main title only' and when I start it playing get no subtitles at all, I can't work out how to get it to play subtitles when Dutch and German is spoken and none when English is spoken. Please help.

Thanks,

MS
Working...