Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • piratepast40
    • May 2005

Reduce CPU useage?

Trying to find a way to reduce my CPU useage during decrypting/verify/write operations. I've got dual Seagate SATA 160G drives, 1 Gb of memory, and an AMD 3500+. If I buy the Plextor 716SA (SATA) burner, will that reduce my CPU use? The 716SA has an 8mb buffer as do my hard drives. Would assume that it's best to copy to/from the drive w/o the operating system.
  • cynthia
    Super Moderatress
    • Jan 2004

What program do you use?

If you want to reduce the priority of your program - press 'CTRL' + 'ALT' + 'DEL' and rightclick on the process and set a lower priority level for that program.

I have seen a freeware program that can do the same - but it's only in swedish.

Comment

• piratepast40
      • May 2005

Using DVD Shrink and DVD decrypter (Win XP OS).

Guess the main question was about SATA to SATA transfers and if it really helps since you're (supposedly) reducing bandwidth restrictions by bypassing the IDE controller.

Didn't know I could change priorities - thanks.

Comment

• cynthia
        Super Moderatress
        • Jan 2004

When you transfer files with DVD Decrypter it don't use very much CPU. If you want a slower transfer - change the read speed in that program.

In DVD Shrink there is also a setting in the preference section 'Run in low priority mode...' which will allow multitasking while you run DVD Shrink.

Comment

Working...