Which DVD-reader is recommended for verifying burnt DVDs?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tautau
    • Apr 2005

Which DVD-reader is recommended for verifying burnt DVDs?

I have an NEC DVD-writer which, unfortunately, seems unable to verify the disks that it burns. A disk will burn successfully but any verifies I try to perform (with Beyond Compare; nero's cdspeed or other programs) will fail 50% of the way through the disk. However, the dvd's I burn play perfectly in standalone players.

Since I need a way of verifying my burns before I can archive them and since it isn't practical to watch every dvd from beginning to end in a standalone player to do so, I decided it would be best to buy a seperate dvd-reader drive and verify the disks using that.

So this is my question: Which dvd-reader drive is recommended for this sort of task? I need a drive that will handle many different types of disks well and that provides as high a quality of integrity checking as possible. I've heard a rumor that LiteOn drives are very good at this sort of thing. Can anyone give me their opinion on what dvd-reader drive is good for this? As all the dvd-reader drives are now extremely cheap the only real reason to choose one over another would be quality.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

My ASUS DVD-ROM (616-Z0) has been a rock solid performer and handles DVD-ROM, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, and DVD-RW (and, of course, CDs).

It's a good idea to purchase a DVD-ROM for another reason - using it to do the reads required for backing up DVDs will save wear and tear on your burner...

Comment

Working...