X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Adam40291
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Mar 2005

Okay, I still have 1.00 GB of RAM on the machine and I did not transfer the programs over. I did a fresh download and install. So far I'm thinking that the problem is with either the video card or the RAM chips themselves since those are the only pieces left that haven't been replaced.

I don't think its a software problem. It seems like the memory is not being accessed properly. I did get one successful burn out of it but now I can't seem to get another one.

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

"the RAM chips"

Have you as yet run a RAM check?

Comment

• Adam40291
        Gold Member
        Gold Member
        • Mar 2005

I just downloaded MemTest to do just that. I'll let you know.

Comment

• cynthia
          Super Moderatress
          • Jan 2004

Curius - before you upgraded your PC - what O/S did you run? The same as now - Windows XP (SP2)?

Comment

• Adam40291
            Gold Member
            Gold Member
            • Mar 2005

Yes, my O/S has been the same. WinXP with SP2. Replaced the RAM chips today and successfully ran DVD Decrypter, but my first go with DVD Shrink was a bust. Didn't go to blue screen this time, got a "DVD Shrink has encountered an error and cannot continue" message. I have uninstalled and reinstalled both DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink and restarted my computer so we'll see what happens from here.

Any other advice out there?

Comment

• Adam40291
              Gold Member
              Gold Member
              • Mar 2005

Okay, with the new RAM I have still had problems. I am now swapping out the video card and taxing the machines memory to see if that is the problem. If that doesn't work then I am just going to buy a new computer.

Comment

• cynthia
                Super Moderatress
                • Jan 2004

Before you do that - this problem can also happen if you have some old drivers/programs that are not upgraded to 32 bits versions. Do you know if all your programs are updated and that you don't have an old soundcard or similar card/drivers that can cause it?

Another way could be to install XP on a formatted hard disk and do a fresh installation.

Comment

• Adam40291
                  Gold Member
                  Gold Member
                  • Mar 2005

Thanks everyone for your help.

Yes all of my devices and drivers were up to date. With restoring all of the hardware components and trying to reinstall the software I still had blue screen of death problems.

So....I have given up. I returned all the components and bought an entirely new machine. So far so good on this one!

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Comment

Working...