Using 2 drives to burn with dvd shrink..

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Medved
    • May 2005

Using 2 drives to burn with dvd shrink..

Just wanted to know if it was possible with dvd shrink to use 1 drive for reading and another for burning.

I have just bought a second drive and would like to improve my burn times by using the 2 devices simultaneously.

I am using Pioneer DVR-109XLC1 with a Pioneer DVR-107D. They are both using seperate IDE cables as they wont work set as master and slave.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.
  • cynthia
    Super Moderatress
    • Jan 2004

Hi and welcome to the forum, Medved!

Yes, it works very well.

Comment

• jmt
      • Jan 2005

Could you explain how this would work? Also I have a master and slave set-up (same IDE cable)

Comment

• cynthia
        Super Moderatress
        • Jan 2004

Put the original DVD in your reader and the disc you want to burn in your burner.

In DVD Shrink - select open disc and use your reader as input and in the backup section - select your burner as target.

Comment

• Medved
          • May 2005

Am I right in saying it is impossible for DVD Shrink to start writing before the reading and shrinking has finished?

If I have this setup correctly the writer will not start unitl the entire movie has been shrunk. So the only time advantage I can find for using dvd shrink with multiple burners is that you don't need to remove the orginal dvd with the blank dvd.

For dual layer dvd's I expect the pc cannot rip fast enough to enable the writer to burn whilst encoding.

I have used this process with nero successfully but only with DVD's less than 4.7GB.

If anyone knows any different please let me know.

I am using an Athlon XP 2500 with Pioneer Drives 107D and 109. 1GB DDR Ram.

Average DVD process times are:

7 mins for 4.7GB DVD (with Nero)

36 mins for 8-9GB DVD (with DVD shrink to 4.7GB)

I have not yet bought a blank dual layer disk to try copying direct

Comment

• cynthia
            Super Moderatress
            • Jan 2004

True, DVD Shrink first saves the encoded files before it starts to burn. In Nero Recode 2 - you can burn your disc at the same time it encodes and you don't need to save anything on your hard disk.

So basically in DVD Shrink - the only advantage is that you don't need to change disc.

Comment

• jmt
              • Jan 2005

cynthia

Thank you very much for the education.

Comment

Working...