X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • slimjim1004
    • Jun 2005

backup does not play on Sony DAV-FC9

hi everyone,
    i've searched the forums for a similar problem, but haven't found one. i am able to successfully backup my dvd using DVD Shrink and i burn it using sonic record now and it plays fine on my computer and on my parent's dvd player, but it doesn't work on my Sony DVD changer/entertainment system (DAV-FC9). it doesn't recognize it. any ideas? i appreciate the help.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Welcome to the Digital Video Forums of Digital Digest

To determine the capabilities/limitations of your specific brand and model of standalone DVD player, as well as media compatibility, go to:

Be wary of highly opinionated and oft'times unsubstantiated statements made in response to your questions at these forums...

Comment

• LT. Columbo
      Demigod of Digital Video
      • Nov 2004

likely doesn't like that media...not unusual. see below for that players' media compatibility.

"One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
      Columbo moments...
      "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
      "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
      (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• slimjim1004
        • Jun 2005

i don't think it's the media b/c i can burn home movies to it and it works fine on my dvd player. i guess i was hoping there was something else i needed to do since it is a sony.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"i don't think it's the media b/c i can burn home movies to it and it works fine on my dvd player.'

1) Have you burned your DVD Shrink-created DVD "packages" at the same speed as you burned your converted home movies?

2) Did you use "Sonic Record" to burn both types of DVDs?

3) Did you place ALL (.IFOs, .BUPs, .VOBs) DVD Shrink-created DVD files into a folder named (ALL CAPITALS) "VIDEO_TS" on the burned DVD?

Comment

• slimjim1004
            • Jun 2005

i'm pretty sure the packages are burned at the same speed. i don't use sonic to burn the home movies though, but i do use sonic to make copies of the home movies. all the files are automatically sent to a folder names VIDEO_TS by DVD Shrink and I just burn the audio and video folders. it works on my computer and other dvd players so i thought there was some setting i didn't check or uncheck or something else needed to be finalized or something. do u think i should try burning w/ nero?

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"i don't use sonic to burn the home movies though... all the files are automatically sent to a folder names VIDEO_TS by DVD Shrink and I just burn the audio and video folders."

So, if you DON'T use Sonic to burn, what DO you use to burn these DVDs?

Be wary of highly opinionated and oft'times unsubstantiated statements made in response to your questions at these forums...

Comment

• slimjim1004
                • Jun 2005

i have an hp pc that came w/ an editing program called showbiz that will burn the dvd after ur done editing. i've also used pinnacle. do u think i could use that program to burn it?

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

Your responses include uncertainties that make it impossible (at least for me) to make a valid comparison of your burning of home videos and burning backups of DVDs.

I strongly suggest that you:

A) Burn your backups at 2X

and

B) Again, despite your "doubt", in order to determine the capabilities/limitations of your specific brand and model of standalone DVD player, as well as media compatibility, go to:

Be wary of highly opinionated and often unsubstantiated statements made in response to your questions at these forums...

Comment

• slimjim1004
                    • Jun 2005

thanks for the help. one last question. when i go to the site u refer to above, what is it about the media compability that i should be looking for? basically i burn using dvd+r and it says that's compatible. is there some other info i should be looking for?

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

"is there some other info i should be looking for?"

You'll see a list of other owners of the same burne that shows their success and/or failure with different brands and formats of media...

If you have more questions, always feel free to ask them...
                      Last edited by setarip; 7 Jun 2005, 06:49 AM.

Comment

• slimjim1004
                        • Jun 2005

well i'm pretty sure the media is ok. but u got me thinking about what was different when i burn home movies so i took a look at the files that showbiz creates. it creates a video_ts folder and an arcsoft folder. the arcsoft folder has a dvdengine folder and a file called sbdvd.sdf. in the dvdengine folder there is a vts_0 and vts_1 folder and a file called dvd version.ysw. the vts_0 folder has a file called arcsoftmenu.tmp and the vts_1 folder has the same file and another file called arcsoftvobu.tmp. basically i'm wondering what the first thing (i.e. file) a dvd player looks for to play the dvd.

Comment

• setarip
                          Retired
                          • Dec 2001

"i'm wondering what the first thing (i.e. file) a dvd player looks for to play the dvd."

The "VIDEO_TS" folder...

Comment

• slimjim1004
                            • Jun 2005

understand. but is it the IFO, VOB, or BUP file that is initiated first? when i place the dvd in the changer it says reading, but i'm wondering what is it trying to read first.

Comment

• jmet
                              Super Moderator
                              • Nov 2002

.IFO and .BUP are just navigational files (Menus, etc.). .VOB files are the video and audio of the movie.

Comment

Working...