X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dashiell
    • Apr 2005

Stripes Director's Cut

Something I've noticed...

On the new director's cut of "Stripes," there seems to be a forced subtitle before and after each added scene.

When backing up, you'll notice two versions of the main movie. The longer one is the dir cut, the shorter one the theatrical.

When playing a backup of the director's cut, before each scene Ivan Reitman put BACK into the movie, a little yellow subtitle comes up that says "Bonus scene begins" and then "Bonus scene ends" when it's over.

This happens even when all subtitles are set to "off" leading me to believe that this is a 'forced' subtitle, and nothing can be done about it.

Anyone have any other info that I may be missing?
  • Experi-Mentor
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Nov 2004

in dvdshrink (or simular), try to view the "bonus" scenes as individual footage only (it "should" be available), & see if those subs are there.

Comment

• Dashiell
      • Apr 2005

They do not show when you run the sequence through within shrink (it occurs for the first time in the scene in John's apt when he's doing pushups and then at the very beginning of chap 4).

What's even more interesting is that they don't even appear under the subtitle list... just the two "full" languages appear.

They are definitely 'generated' yellow subtitles. (These even have the little army star next to them.)

Wait! Hold the phone! I think I have the answer:

From thehollywoodnews.com

In a nice touch, markers indicate the beginning and end of the bonus scenes. I don’t think these are perfect, though, as I believe the extended version includes a snippet or two not in the original but not listed as new. For instance, during the initial training montage, there’s a scene in which Ox tricks Russell into taking out a heavier trashcan. Maybe I remember the movie incorrectly, but I don’t recall that from the theatrical cut
      Last edited by Dashiell; 18 Jun 2005, 05:47 AM.

Comment

Working...