X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flashpan
    • Jun 2004

Very strange problem occuring...

Hey everyone-

I've been backing up my film collection with no problems, until recently. My parents stopped by the other day with a 50pack of Fujifilm DVD-R. I usually use Riteks, so it took me a little while to get to the Fujifilms (little while as in 2 weeks or so). I finished up my Riteks and moved onto the Fujifilms, a brand I have never experienced problems with before. I backed up a good 20 of them before I even tried them in my DVD Player (big mistake). NONE of the Fujifilms work. I then tried the Fujifilm I have used before, and they work swimmingly. But absolutely none of the new ones will work (they either freeze the player completely, or the player tries to read the disc for a minute before flashing "No Disc). I use DVDInfo Pro on every disc I burn, so I am confused as to what the problem may be seeing as Fujifilm has always been reliable for me.

Thanks!
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

same burn speeds for old and new fuji's?

what are the media ID codes for the new AND old fuji's?
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• flashpan
      • Jun 2004

Yes- burn speed is exactly the same (2x). Every step of the process is the same...

How do I check for Media ID Codes?

thanks for the help!

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

you said you use dvd info pro, it will tell you. compare the old and new fuji media ID codes.
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• tigerman8u
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Aug 2003

they probably switched to a different brand of dye or they could be imitations

try them in another dvd player and see if they work

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

these are some possibilities....notice the "prodisc"

Fujifilm DVD+R 4x (RICOHJPNR01)
            Fujifilm DVD+R 8x (RICOHJPNR02)
            Fujifilm DVD+R 8x (YUDEN000T02)
            Fujifilm DVD+RW 2.4x (RICOHJPNW01)
            Fujifilm DVD+RW 4x (RICOHJPN W11)
            Fujifilm DVD-R 1x (RITEKG03....)
            Fujifilm DVD-R 2x (TAIYOYUDEN..)
            Fujifilm DVD-R 4x (ProdiscS03)
            Fujifilm DVD-R 4x (TYG01.......)
            Fujifilm DVD-R 8x (FUJIFILM03)
            Fujifilm DVD-R 8x (TYG02)
            Columbo moments...

Comment

• jm1647
              An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
              • Apr 2005

They probaly switched suppliers again. Fuji is the brand name but a lot of brand names do not make their own DVD's. See here for the different media codes for Fuji DVD's...Ritek, MCC, Taiyo Yuden...
              Like LT.Columbo said check out the media codes in DVDInfo Pro. Put a DVD in your drive, load up DVDInfo Pro and click on the Media icon next to the monitor in the left hand corner near the top. There will be 2 lines of info, media Code/ Mfr ID and revision.

Comment

• flashpan
                • Jun 2004

The old ones that work fine: RitekG03
                The new ones that don't: ProdiscF01

The player I am using is a JVC XV-N212

I suppose that based on Columbo's recent post that Prodiscs are something to stay away from?

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                  Demigod of Digital Video
                  • Nov 2004

there you go

"I suppose that based on Columbo's recent post that Prodiscs are something to stay away from?"

one of the poorest media out there.
                  Columbo moments...

Comment

• flashpan
                    • Jun 2004

That stinks... a lot. Thanks for the help though. By "one of the poorest media" do you mean as far as compatibility on stand alone players, or so far as read errors are concerned? I was actually fairly surprised with them (obviously until now) as not a single one contained read errors (wheras with brands even such as Sony I get many discs that DVDInfo detects as being bad). Sorry for any ignorance, I am really interested in all this.

Thanks again so much for the help!

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                      Demigod of Digital Video
                      • Nov 2004

i have never seen i regarded as superior media, sure compatibility is part of it too, but it is generaly low quality---i have used it before myself.

buy new media.
                      Columbo moments...

Comment

Working...