• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DiscCoasterPro
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Sep 2005

Problem copying a large file to DVD

Hello. I have a winxp system with NTFS file system. I have captured some analog video and I have authored and burned the product to disc. The original captured file size was just over 4gigs. in mpeg-2.

Is there a reason Nero won't let me burn this to another dvd purely for a backup of the original capture so I can delete the file from my HD. I'm getting an error and something about ISO and UDF I dunno. Geez I just wanna copy the thing... LOL .. any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

if you really want to burn with nero, post the error exactly as it is shown

but if you want a quick and hassle-free way,

download & install 'dvd decrypter', and use it in 'iso read' mode to get the dvd onto your hard disk. use 'iso write mode' to burn
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• blutach
      Not a god of digital video
      • Oct 2004

You'll find the Nero log at C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero\NeroHistory.log

Post the whole log.

Regards
      Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
      [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• DiscCoasterPro
        Gold Member
        Gold Member
        • Sep 2005

Thanks ..I do already have DVD Decryptor. I use it for DVD copying along with DVDShrink. I'll try what you suggest. Thanks. I was going to go so far as to use some kind of a zip or rar program. I was confused as to why... (not wanting the file to do anything more than sit on the DVD for archive) did it seem to be having a problem.

I used Nero with the copy data heading, figuring it was merely going to copy a file without caring what it was. Ohhhh... I just had a brain drizzle. (thats something short of a brain storm). What if I were to rename the file extention to like Xpg or something. I wonder if it would just copy it?

But anyway, thank you for the solution, I will use the decryptor program and try.

Comment

• atifsh
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2003

if u dont want to make DVD Video but a Dvd Data disk [for archive purpose] just do this:

1: Nero / new compilation / DVD ISO
          2: drag / drop / add ur video [for archive purpose]
          3: Burn.
          Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• DiscCoasterPro
            Gold Member
            Gold Member
            • Sep 2005

Thanks .. in trying that I get this message. The file ***.mpg is larger than 2gb and therefore cannot be stored in an ISO file system. Please use the UDF file system to write such a large file. This can be done by selecting another compilation type. LOL .. God forbid they suggest which one <smile>.

Well,I tried DVD-ROM UDF and I got an error "power calibration". Here is where it gets funny. I posted earlier under DVDShrink catagory asking why a different media I was using was being rejected after DVDDecryptor did its thing and I ran DVDShrink for copying a DVD. I've made a hundred with verbatim and bought this maxell stuff. Which rejected when DVDShrink launched Nero for the burn stage. If I closed all the programs and used Nero directly with the maxell it would work,

Anyway, it was suggested to me I should upgrade the plextor firmware. LOL .. I did finally, and low and behold the next Decryptor > Shrink > burn process worked fine with the maxell.

But now .. haha .. I get the power calibration error while using Nero directly with this file I want to save. Just the opposite problem I was having. So, I put a verbatim in, and using the DVD-ROM UDF setting it worked and copied.

The moral so far, besides me not knowing what the hell I'm doing, is the flash didnt fix the maxell issue, it just made it different Tough to tell if you're doing something wrong or if it is simply some component that doesnt like another one.

Oh, and thanks plextor for deciding to reset my burner to D: for me when I upgraded the firmware. (not to mention the boot order in my bios) That was a pleasant side issue to deal with remembering how to fumble through XPs menus to reassign drive letters. I had it set to W: originally, and my external HD set to D:. Of course until I screwed around fixing the drive letters back to the way I had it, none of the Authoring projects I had on the external HD could be found by my authoring software.

Its not even like you can ask a question, because the situations on these computers are just as likely to be individual computer issues as they are software program issues. Just frustrating as hell. Almost makes me wanna buy an Apple comuter to see if they are tortured like this too.

Thanks all for your patient explanations as I fumble and pull my hair out learning this stuff.
            </smile>

Comment

• anonymez
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2004

disccoasterpro, you mentioned in your first post that your authored your mpeg file, which means you turned them into VOB and IFO (and BUP) files, each 1 GB in size. in your latest post, you said the file was an mpeg, so you didn't actually author them. to author a dvd, you must use a program like 'tmpgenc dvd author. that is why it didn't work

just download & install 'tmpgenc dvd author' (has a 30-day trial version) and try it out, and you should be able to burn it quite easily. then you can burn with nero, and if you have trouble, follow this short guide: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/arch..._with_nero.cfm
              "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• DiscCoasterPro
                Gold Member
                Gold Member
                • Sep 2005

I'm sorry if I confused the question. Please keep in mind this particular video is a friends wedding, and once I converted it and burned it for him, I don't want to keep it on my computer. However, I wanted him to have a copy of the original mpeg-2 file as well as the finished DVD project. Here's what I did.

I converted a vhs tape through an external analog/digital usb2 converter. The resulting file was an mpeg-2 file. I opened my DVD Workshop 2 program. Authored in the menus, chapters etc. and burned it to a DVD format. With that done, I deleted the folder that was created on my hard drive with all the VOB IFO and BUP files. ( I always choose the option to not only make the burn but put the folder structure on the hard drive, just in case the DVD goes belly up in the last seconds of the burn)

The only file left to delete from the Hard Drive was the original mpeg file which was created from the analog conversion. Before deleting that one, I wanted to just transfer it to a DVD for backup purposes. Hence the problem and question.

Sorry if I confused the question.

**edit**
                In all reality if I wasn't so damned cheap with those Maxell DVD on sale 50 for 17 bucks, and I just bought the Verbatim that I have been using, I would have saved 20 times the aggravation. I save about 8 bucks on the media, but I'm a lunatic when it comes to buying software. I have 4 editing programs, Ulead VS9, Cyberlink PowerDirector 4, Pinnacle Studio 9 and Vegas DVD. Then I have both DVD Workshop 2, and Sonic DVDit Pro 6 to author. I put this new P4 puter together a little while back just to do this. Now all I need to do is find the Wizard for some brains and some courage. LOL
                thanks,
                Last edited by DiscCoasterPro; 26 Sep 2005, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Working...