Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rsclark
    • Oct 2005

Help. My Burn speed has dropped drastically from 4 X to 0.7X

I have owned an Acer Aspire 3022 for 2 months. Until yesterday I could burn a full DVD in about 20 minutes - i think i was getting a speed of about 4X. This was using both the NTI software & DVD decrypter. Last night the chain of events was as follows:-
    1. Successfully burned an ISO file to Sony DVD+RW using DVD decrypter at a speed of about 4 X
    2. Attempted to burn the same ISO file to a new Ridisk DVD-R using DVD decrpter but it gave an error (cannot remember details) and wouldn't write to the disk
    3. Shutdown, restarted, and tried to copy the same ISO file using DVD decrypter to a Memorex DVD+R - I had always previously used these without any problems. I had the speed set to MAX. Previously i have always achieved a speed of about 4X. This time it seemed to hover between 0.5 - 0.9 X. I bailed out as it would take too long to complete. I attempted to watch the small portion of movie that I had burned and it was very poor quality
    4. I then attempted the same process on a Sony DVD+RW that i know worked earlier in the evening. Again, my burn speed never went above 0.9 X
    5. Using NTI CD\DVDmaker I attempted to copy a Data DVD. In the past this wouls take about 20 minutes. Today it had taken 12 minutes to do about 10% before i bailed out.

Whatever software i use the burn speed has dropped dramatically, and the quality is not even suitable. In point 2 above, before I bailed out the burn speed was going as low as 0.3 X.

Any help would be appreciated. I am beginnig to panic now.

Thanks
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

Check your DMA first.

Check your DMA settings - How ? do this -> Go to Control Panel> System> Hardware Tab> Device Manager> IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers> Right Click Primary IDE channel (and Secondary IDE channel after you finish with Primary)> Properties> Advanced Settings Tab> Transfer Mode or go here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=101616

Do the above from both "Primary & Secondary IDE channels".

I (We) and you need to look at whats in both "Transfer Mode" and "Current Transfer Mode". Screen shot below is what I'm talking about.

If it is in "PIO" mode. Click the "Driver" tab, and uninstall the driver. Then reboot. Upon rebooting windows will automatically reinstall the driver and it should go back to "DMA" mode.

(Your screen may or may not look the same as my screen shots)

Comment

Working...