bad burns at 16x media - good at 8x!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smiley
    • Jul 2005

ooh....so close. I saved it to my computer but it doesn't recognize the file. I'm getting the prompt to choose which application to open it with. Any suggestions, or perhaps another site I can download from.

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

I am a little skeptical after googling these guys,
      I don't trust them, especially when they don't
      even name a file right!

btc site was worse, much worse!

DVDRW 1016UI/1116UI

I downloaded both files, yours just lacks the ".exe" at the end,
      what the heck I'd go for it, it's a crappy drive anyway,
      like I said just put an nec 3540 in the case.

Comment

• smiley
        • Jul 2005

I still can't get the file to open after I've downloaded onto my computer. It's showing up as a temporary image. Is there a program I can quickly download so that I can open this file.

Any help is appreciated

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

Originally Posted by smiley
          I still can't get the file to open after I've downloaded onto my computer. It's showing up as a temporary image. Is there a program I can quickly download so that I can open this file.

Any help is appreciated
          How can a dot EXE be an image file?

Comment

• jm1647
            An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
            • Apr 2005

it is a crazy site!!!! I clicked on the file to save it and it came up as an unknown file type the first time, the second time it came up as a .exe. If it says unknown file type for you cancel and then do a right click, save as and add .exe on the end. Watch for the file type it says you are getting.

Comment

• smiley
              • Jul 2005

This forum is unbelieveable!!! Thank you guys sooooo much. I was able to update the firmware using directions from many of you (talk about a group effort!) special shout out to jm1647 for the adding the "exe" advice. It worked like a charm and now my crappy burner is running like a champ. just backed up Fever Pitch, using the I/O Magic and the Verbatim 16x and NO pixelation. It plays GREAT!

HUGS,
              Smiley
              Last edited by smiley; 15 Oct 2005, 10:11 PM.

Comment

• jm1647
                An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
                • Apr 2005

I'm glad it worked out for you. Thanks for the feedback and the shout out

Comment

• petsbug
                  Gold Member
                  Gold Member
                  • Jan 2005

Francksoy,

"PIE/PIF error testing, as well as transfert rate tests, shows that the paradigm "burn at lower speeds for better quality" is totally flawed."

I think I agree with you here, drive and media manufacturers surely know what they are doing. What's the point of making disc capable of 16x and a burner capable of writing to this speeds if it doesn't work? I have been burning using Max speeds and no problem at all. I use Philips 8701 and Teac DV-W58E.

Petsbug
                  -----------------------------------------
                  DT: Burners: BenQ DVD CD DW1670 and 2 Philips DVD+- RW DVD 8701
                  LT: Vista Premuim, HP Pavillion 9288ea

Comment

• mahbuban
                    • May 2006

Hi,

I have an i/o magic dvdrw 1008ui (according to the label on the bottom of the drive) and my writing software has not been able to detect/burn to it. My OS is windows xp, and I tried to download and install firmware for the writer from the i/o magic firmware upgrade website. Sadly when I try to run it, it gives me the message:

This firmware can be used on below drives :
                    (1) DVDRW USB1008UI .
                    (2) DVDRW USB1008 .
                    CD-ROM drive model doesn't match!!

and nothing is showing in the 'target drive' box so I can't press upgrade. I wonder whether the model number is actually different to what it says. I can't run Nero info tool or dvdinfopro (I get different and confusing error messages with both), but I managed to run "Flashman's Detect Firmare Version Tool" and this is the info it gave me:

Device: HL-DT-STDVD-ROM GDR8081N Firmware Version: 0012

Any help would be *much* appreciated !

Rakhi

Comment

Working...