Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rsclark
    • Oct 2005

Are external USB2 DVD writers as good/fast as internal ones

Are external DVDrewriters connected by USB2 cables as good/fast/reliable as internal ones.

The reason i ask is because my 65 year old mum wants to buy a new pc. She has never burned a CD before and does not own a DVD player. Consequently, despite pressure from salesmen etc, I do not feel she needs a DVD writer at the moment. This would enable her to buy a sub £400 P4 2.93Ghz 512MB + 15" TFT monitor which would be ample for her requirements. She would then have the option of a DVDRW external upgrade if she needed.

However, I don't want to send her down this route if USB2 DVDS are not very good. suppose she could always install an Internal one at some point.

Thanks
  • blutach
    Not a god of digital video
    • Oct 2004

No. Get an internal one connected on an IDE channel or SATA.

Regards
    Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
    [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• joe113
      Menu hater
      • Feb 2005

I have an external writer connected through usb. I don't have an internal one. Except for a few teething problems in the beginning, I dont have any problems and I've burned close on 1,000 discs now with it. My friend has an internal one, which does the job no quicker or better than mine. In fact I dont see any difference.

Just my two cents.

Joe.

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

Internal dvd burners installed as standalone masters are inherently
        better than ones using a shared interface(usb). Since better computers come with sata hard drives, that leaves the two pata(ide/atapi) available
        for optical drives. As media matures hopefully 8x burning will become
        more reliable, that speed is pushing the envelope with usb2 interface.
        The new standard for external drives will become e-serial, as far as I can tell
        it will be just as fast/reliable as any internal interface. At 50-60MB/s(HDD)
        sustained I don't think there will be any problems with bandwidth or shared resources. Serial dvd burners and their interface with mobo chipsets is
        still iffy!

Comment

• rsclark
          • Oct 2005

Thanks guys

It appears i have the option of either if my ma ever decides to start ripping & burning

I'll buy her a PC with just a CDRW/DVD-ROM for the time being.

Comment

• nwg
            Left *****
            • Jun 2003

Are external DVDrewriters connected by USB2 cables as good/fast/reliable as internal ones.
            They can be, it depends on the drive.

My Pioneer 109 on USB 2 connection through a external enclosure. It is just as fast as it would be on a IDE a connection . I have used a firmware that removes the riplock and it goes to 12x speed. That is the same as it was internal.

It is also one of the first writer to be UDMA 4. Most particualrly older drives are only UDMA 2 like my LG 4040B. I get the same performace whether it is IDE, USB 2.0 or Firewire.

Comment

• NightTran
              King of Digital Video
              King of Digital Video
              • Aug 2005

external one is faster, because you don't have to change the disc when recode done, two click and you can walk away
              sigpic

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

udma 2 = 33MB/s
                udma 4 = 66MB/s
                BURST of interface
                sustained is what's at each end(bottlenecks)

16x burning(dream on) 21-22MB/s

firewire yes, usb2 no

based upon sustained transfers from dma 5/6 hard drives in
                manymany usb2/firewire enclosures (100's of gigs worth)

Comment

Working...