Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stiff mysta
    • Aug 2005

dodgy disks or dodgy burning??

hmm, seeems like their is an advantage of buying dvds here.
    everytime, i rip or download a movie, and burn it onto disk, i dont know what i do wrong, because when i put it into my dvd player,
    like 3/4 way thriugh the movie, it start jumping and freezing, like if the disk is scratched,and i need to skip many chapters to avoid the problem, and when i take it out, and there isnt a bare scratch on the blo*dy disk.
    it happened to every disk ive copied, and the thing is the disk arent cheappy ones either, there sony 8 speed.
    what could the problem be
    Home of The Stiff Mysta
    http://kashiboi.be
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

what could the problem be?

1. burning to fast
    2. incompatible media for your burner.
    3. need of firmware update
    4. need of burn software update.

for starters..

what are you burning with?
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• jmet
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2002

The speed at which they are rated at doesn't make them "Cheap" or "Crappy" disc. Its the "Dye" that is used.

If your backup freezes, stutters, skips, or has some pixelation, it is more than likely due to poor quality media being used. Cheap media is poorly manufactured around the edge of the disc, hence the reason why it mostly skips or freezes from the middle toward the end of the movie. The two main things to consider first are:

1. Is it cheap media that you are using? (ie. some off brand you bought at a local computer store/fair, even a store like Circuit City or Best Buy sells cheap low quality media.)

2. How fast are you burning? - Burn no faster than 4X, might have to go down to 2X with really cheap media.

Also, are you using adhesive labels on your back ups? If so, try removing the labels (if you can) and playing them again. Go here for more info on why not to use labels. - http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=28604

You can go here for some other possible solutions: http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=44912

Also try lowering outcome the "Target DVD size".

Open DVD Shrink. Click "Edit", then "Preferences". On the first tab at the top in the drop down box, change it from "DVD-5 (4.7GB) to "Custom" and enter a number of 4200MB (4464MB is burning to the edge of the disc, you want to stay away from the edge as the edge of cheap media (disc's) are poorly manufactured). Screen Shot Below:

Comment

• blutach
        Not a god of digital video
        • Oct 2004

Read the Golden Rules of Burning and Got Bad Playback in my signature.

It's probably media quality as jmet suggested. Read Media Quality in my signature. Get good qulaity stuff - Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim etc. Then you can burn to the edge of the disk!

Regards
        Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
        [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• LT. Columbo
          Demigod of Digital Video
          • Nov 2004

"there sony 8 speed."

i'd be reluctant to condemn the media just yet fellas...
          "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
          Columbo moments...
          "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• stiff mysta
            • Aug 2005

exactly, i paid £30, for a pack of 15 disks, thats like £2 a disk,
            damm i think i got ripped off.
            because the thing is, they only burn at 4 speed anyway, and my dvd writer 12x, so, im never buying SONY again
            Last edited by stiff mysta; 23 Oct 2005, 05:11 AM.
            Home of The Stiff Mysta

Comment

• LT. Columbo
              Demigod of Digital Video
              • Nov 2004

i wouldn't suggest you burn higher than 4x on any media. do you have the ID code for those sony's you bought?
              Columbo moments...

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

Originally Posted by stiff mysta
                they only burn at 4 speed anyway, and my dvd writer 12x, so, im never buying SONY again
                There's a clue here, if most everyone else can use a major brand name media
                like Sony and burn at it's specs, why won't your burner? Most likely your
                burner doesn't have the correct firmware for the media. Newer media,
                older burner(firmware)/ that's like it's brains, saying burn this stuff so and so.
                Firmware is easily updated. Without any details we can only guess.

Comment

• stiff mysta
                  • Aug 2005

well i can only point you back to my first topic on this forum, quite a while back.
                  LT. Columbo should remember it.

well from that topic, i installed firmware to make my dvd writer work.
                  i really think i havent installed the right one, as my dvd writer does act strange some times.
                  but im not sure what i should, as that was the only driver on the PikaOne website, that my pc accepted.
                  Home of The Stiff Mysta

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

""i have just bought the dvd-rw and that is an external version"

lol, talk about a revelation. all that dma work was for nothing now.
                    you have a USB connected burner."

what version of firmware is installed?????
                    I didn't see any 12x burners listed at

Comment

• stiff mysta
                      • Aug 2005

this is the one ive got

my firmware installed is 0043 but im not sure, if it was built for this piece of hardware.
                      Home of The Stiff Mysta

Comment

• Chewy
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2003

from your link I get this download page
                        EXTERNAL DVD RW +/-DUAL DRIVE / 8X4X USB.2 & FireWire
                        C L A S S I C
                        Drivers & Firmware User's Manual & Data Sheet
                        [ Driver Windows 98 v5.04 ] 15 ko last update 11 Feb 05
                        [ Firmware DVD RW +/- 8X4X V0159 ] last update 11 Feb 05
                        [ PDF ] 297 ko Manual V 1.0 last udpate 02 Oct 03
                        [ PDF ] 135 ko Data Sheet last update 02 Jan 04

and the specs on that burner are 4x dvd-r and 8x dvd+r

Comment

• stiff mysta
                          • Aug 2005

yup dats the one i downloaded a few days back to solve the problem, but no luck,
                          this is the error message i get.
                          Last edited by stiff mysta; 26 Oct 2005, 06:25 AM.
                          Home of The Stiff Mysta

Comment

• bubble502
                            • Oct 2005

Get some dvd's with taiyo yuden dye as they are about the best you can get. Be careful though cos many places sell fake ones. www.svp.co.uk sell original ones. the ones below are ones I get and also everyone I know buys them now. Haven't had a coaster or bad disk yet. Also when you run the disk test in nero you get very few pi or pif errors wI had some Ritek and a SOny disc and they had more errors than recommended. Cheap media is half of the burning problems. Just google taiyo yuden if you are unsure

{DV 3309} Verbatim (Taiyo Yuden) 8x DVD-R in Spindle Tubs of 25
                            Verbatim have entrusted the manufacture of the disc to the world renowned Taiyo Yuden factory.

ADVDInfo: TYG02

<ACTINICRICES PROD_REF="137" RETAIL_PRICE_PROMPT="SVP Price:">
                            SVP Price: £6.49
                            </ACTINICRICES>

Comment

• stiff mysta
                              • Aug 2005

its not the disk i dont think, its something to do with the firmware/driver
                              Home of The Stiff Mysta

Comment

Working...