Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • januszian
    • Nov 2004

MAXIMUM burning speed for DVD movies?

Hello. I just bought a brand spanking new Lite-On SHW-1635S dual layer DVD burner and was wondering:

what is the maximum burning speed for DVD movies? Does the picture quality get worse if I burn discs with 16X ?

I'm using Verbatim 16X certified DVD-R 4.7 GB discs. Not the cheapest ones around.

I used to own a Lite-On LDW-411S (401S modded) and it was only a 4X drive so I'm new at these speeds.

I'm using DVDshrink with the NERO option enabled so I'm burning movies right after shrinking and encoding in the same program. Does it affect performance or picture quality?
    Last edited by januszian; 23 Oct 2005, 07:08 AM.
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

at 8x for a full burn 4.3-4.4 gigs that's about 8 minutes
    at 16x about 6 minutes
    8x is safer

Comment

• katana
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Jul 2004

Hi,
      As a rule of thumb, a lot of people burn at 4X to reduce errors. It only takes a few minutes longer than 8X or 16X and you've a better chance of a good burn.
      Burning with Nero enabled in Shrink is fine.
      You could also install DVDDecrypter (free) and set Shrink to burn with that.

Edit:
      Looks like rbrtpl beat me to it!
      Last edited by katana; 23 Oct 2005, 07:29 AM.

Comment

• januszian
        • Nov 2004

I always use DVDdecypter to rip movies to hard drive before starting any kind of backing up.

RBRTPL, so do you mean safe like it won't crash during burning and make a beer coaster of safe like no packing errors or artifacts in the movie?

I got a bunch of discs from NIERLE and they were all doomed as coasters with the LDW-411S. Allthough I burned with 1X to test them, there still were a lot of artifacts and basically the movie was unwatchable. There never was any kind of warning or error message during the burn process. All was fine but the picture quality was just ruined.

Comment

• jm1647
          An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
          • Apr 2005

@jabuzian - In case you don't have it there is a new stock firmware from LiteOn YSOG that you can get here that is producing some really nice burns at 16X. You can read about results with it here

Comment

• januszian
            • Nov 2004

That's the first place I went after installing the drive in my PC.

But thanks anyway!

I just 8X'ED A NIERLE DISC AND SO FAR, ZERO ERRORS!!!!!!

this is ONE FRIGGIN' COOL BURNER!!!!!!!
            Last edited by januszian; 23 Oct 2005, 07:54 AM.

Comment

• jm1647
              An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
              • Apr 2005

Liteon quality has risen with stock firmwares they probably took some lessons from the Codeguys. My 1693S ain't bad either. Neither is my 1633s and 832S all LiteOns.

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

Originally Posted by januszian
                RBRTPL, so do you mean safe like it won't crash during burning and make a beer coaster of safe like no packing errors or artifacts in the movie?
                Safe, as in the average user will experience fewer problems burning slower.
                Anything can happen, at the end of a 16x burn your burner is trying to
                write at 22MB/s the data being fed to it. Many try to write to the edge of the disk. I stop at 4350 and test my burner/firmware and the media.
                Lately I started burning a few disks at 16x, they are not important to me.
                Important ones I burn at 4x on made in japan media.

Comment

• BR7
                  He is coming to your little town!
                  • Aug 2005

I backed up around 150-200 DVDs without a single error at 8x I use HP DVD Writer 640c and Sony AccuCore Discs

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

Working...