Fastest DVD-Ripper (DVD reader) as of Jan 23rd, 2006??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex7718
    • Dec 2005

Fastest DVD-Ripper (DVD reader) as of Jan 23rd, 2006??

By the way, I would like to thank the forum guys that helped me choose a DVD burner on another post. The NEC 3550 DVD burner is everything you guys said it would be. Absolutely the best burner I've ever had.

And now for my question:

What is the absolute fastest DVD-ROM reader for ripping onto your hard drive on the market today? I don't want to use my shiny new burner to rip so I use my 5 year old DVD-Rom that only goes about 4-8x. What is the best Internal and what is the best external?

I'm actually looking at going external for this one, but go ahead and give me the best on both fronts. Thanks.
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

the perfect mate for the nec 3550 is another burner
    it's the fastest ripper, now get the fastest burner and best reader(slow)

spend an extra 15$, you won't regret it

Comment

• mill
      Im Off To See The Wizard
      • Oct 2005

i might jump on that too chewy good reviews.
      Keep Plugin away

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

It's coming out better than I first heard, seems to be a match for the
        earlier models. And I learned with some old disks that a fast reader
        is NOT what you want. I had disks that
        wouldn't even scan in my nec's and read perfectly with my LG!

Comment

• mill
          Im Off To See The Wizard
          • Oct 2005

Thanks Chewy for the info.
          Keep Plugin away

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

In my 16x copy of the fly 6 minute burn I used the nec 3520 with riplock
            removed to read and the LG 4163B to burn, here I wanted my fastest reader
            feeding my fastest writter.

Comment

• locoeng
              Who Farted?
              • Dec 2005

Personally, I would go with this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827152058

However, I've no experience with the LG drives and if you have to different drives the chances of not being able to rip will be lessened because you have a variety to choose from.

@chewy

Just curious about the ripping, you say the LG is faster than the NEC, and you are using the hacked firmware for the NEC, but the LG is still faster?
              Last edited by locoeng; 25 Jan 2006, 03:01 AM.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
              Walt Kelly

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

Originally Posted by locoeng
                Personally, I would go with this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827152058

However, I've no experience with the LG drives and if you have to different drives the chances of not being able to rip will be lessened because you have a variety to choose from.

loco, that's what we got him to buy at first

Comment

• locoeng
                  Who Farted?
                  • Dec 2005

I know...LOL

I would have gotten two...I love my 3540a!!!

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
                  Walt Kelly

Comment

• Alex7718
                    • Dec 2005

I appreciate the info, but the extra $20.00 for another burner is hurting my wallet at this point

I'll keep that burner in mind for the near future, but for right now I'm looking to get something in the $0.00-$25.00 range.

Specifically, I was looking at DVD-ROMS on Newegg.com and I was wondering which one you experts would recommend from the following models:

ASUS Model DVD-E616A
                    BenQ Model 1650V
                    LG Model GDR-8163B
                    LG Model GDR-8163BB
                    LG Model GDR-8164B
                    LITE-ON Model SOHD-167T BG
                    LITE-ON Model SOHD-16P9S
                    LITE-ON Model SOHD-16P9SV
                    SONY Model DDU1615
                    SONY Model DDU1615/B2s

Or maybe even a DVD-Rom that does not appear on that site. I'm not looking for any fancy features/software, etc. I'm looking for purely blind ripping/reading speed period. This means Riplock would definitely hurt me here, unless you know if there is a firmware for that specific model to remove that ungodly feature. Let me know and thanks again!

Comment

• Alex7718
                      • Dec 2005

Since no one has replied to the above post, I pose a new question...

Which DVD-ROM is the best for error-correction? What I mean by that is, which one is the best for reading badly scratched surfaces. I know that some read for this better than others, (I proved it a few days ago when one of my DVD's would not finish ripping in one of my old drives but ripped perfectly in my NEC 3550).

I have some DVD's that look like they've been through a Holy war and lived to talk about it, but I don't want to use my precious NEC for ripping. I also don't want to shell out the cash for another one or any other burner for that matter. I am looking strictly for a DVD-ROM reader only.

Forget ripping speed, I want the best one to read scratched surfaces, even if it takes an hour to do so. Any suggestions? Especially from the list I provided in the post above since those drives are all available at newegg.com.

Comment

• Chewy
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2003

LG Model GDR-8163B?????? just a guess
                        but I have seen this same question posed several times, but few seem interested in dvd-roms anymore.

btw my nec3550 is one of my fastest rippers but worst reader,

Comment

• locoeng
                          Who Farted?
                          • Dec 2005

A buddy has a plextor and says it will rip anything short of a pizza...LOL

Walt Kelly

Comment

• Alex7718
                            • Dec 2005

OK, so I did a little research today on many other sites and I found out that the LITE-ON SOHD-16P9S is considered one of the best DVD-ROMs for error-correction and is hella fast as well (modded firmware). Does anyone here have any experience with this drive or anything they'd like to share about it?

I think I'm going to commit and purchase it since it is only $20.00 on newegg.com, but I want to make sure I get your input before I buy.

Comment

Working...