Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2005

Which DVD burner/reader to buy?

My current DVD burner is an LG gsa 4163b a105
    My DVD reader is TSST corp CDW/DVD TS-H492A

I am on windows XP platform
    I have Nero ASPI installed

I am looking to upgrade my DVD reader to a 2nd DVD burner.
    I live in Canada and shipping costs are an issue from the US and the world.

Attached is partial Nero Log to show my current configuration

I burn in DVD-r format

So which DVD burner to buy????
    Last edited by Gary D; 24 Mar 2006, 05:43 AM.
    Gary D
  • Alex7718
    • Dec 2005

For burning, definitely the NEC ND-3550A....trust me on this. I was advised by some of the forum gurus on another thread and I went out and bought it. Absolutely incredible. Perfect in possibly every way. I burn to DVD-R's too and not one coaster yet even at 12-16x speeds!

I will admit that I use the best blank media available (Authentic TY discs) bought from supermediastore.com for my burns and I have not tried the burner with cheap media. But why would you want to anyway? You will have guaranteed quality results everytime just for spending a few cents more per disc.

You can buy the burner for really cheap with different color faceplates to match your style/system on newegg.com.

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

same advise but for different reasons, you can scan with nec 3550, it has riplock removed so it's a very fast reader/ripper. You already have the best slow reader and best fast burner(the LG4163B). Now if the Benq 1650 was here I would get it, it's an even faster reader/ripper. Either would be a perfect compliment to your LG.

Comment

• Madmike
        Keen Gamer
        • Jan 2006

I would not recommend new Pioneer burners as mine died after 3 months of limited use, and have heard a similar story's about them from a reputable computer repair agent.

Comment

• tigerman8u
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Aug 2003

IMO nec for price and quality/features

Comment

• geno888
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Dec 2005

I suggest a benq 1640: good quality burnings, and reasonable price (€ 50 in Italy, about 60 USD). It is also a fast ripper and a good reader.

And, if you're interested, it can also do scans to check quality of your burnings.

Comment

• aLittletank
              • Nov 2005

thanks alex and Chewy, I just purchased a NEC ND-3550A on your recommendations. I will check back when it arrives and is installed

Allen

Comment

• ajp
                Platinum Member
                Platinum Member
                • Mar 2005

I have a NEC 3520a, I love it and I don't think you can every go wrong ordering a nec.

I would order from www.newegg.com cheap prices and insanely fast shipping.

Comment

• jmet
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2002

NEC drives are the way to go for fast ripping (reading) and excellent burning. You made the right choice.

I own a NEC 3520 and a NEC 3540. I rip with the 3540 and burn with the 3520. Make sure when you get it, you update the firmware. I get all of my NEC firmware here: http://www.micheldeboer.nl/firmware/

(Get modified firmware)

Comment

• aLittletank
                    • Nov 2005

Originally Posted by ajp
                    I have a NEC 3520a, I love it and I don't think you can every go wrong ordering a nec.

I would order from www.newegg.com cheap prices and insanely fast shipping.
                    I bought through super media store. They handled my DVD media very fast and the price was only $44 shipped.

I have been using a sony that I installed in november. Great DVD burner but it cant get it to burn CDs. Updated the firmware ect with no luck so hopefully this works on all my media.

Allen

Comment

Working...