Can't play back particular burned ISO images on stand-alone DVD players.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andrewdpooch
    • Mar 2006

Hi,

This problem may not be so obvious, but I'm hoping someone will have seen it and solved it.

I've downloaded a few ISO DVD movie images off bittorrent, burned them to DVD and am not able to play two of them back on fairly new "home" DVD players. With one movie in particular, I've tried using both DVD+R and DVD-R media, confirmed in both cases that the "book type" ended up being DVD-ROM, not DVD-R or DVD+R; both burns play back fine on my laptop DVD reader, external DVD burner and in my brother's Dell, but they do not play back in my brand new Sony DAV-FX10, nor on our high-end Denon DVD player. On both players, I get a "NO PLAY" error message. I even went ahead and burned this same ISO to DVD+R using my brother's DVD burner... same result. I have been sucessful with other ISOs so this problem seems unique to some ISOs.

The software I use is Nero Burning ROM 7; my brother is using Roxio.

It seems to me that the burns are correct; I always error check the data. It doesn't seem to be a media error; for this movie, I did three different burns all of which play on our PCs but not on our DVD players. I always use the same media; I know the media is compatible with all our hardware and I always burn at 8x. Is there some copy protection that the players are seeing that the computers aren't? Does this have something to do with regions? I didn't make the ISOs, so I don't know where they are from... still, I don't see why the burns would playback fine on the computers but not on the players. Could it be that these ISOs are decrypted and need to be re-encrypted to playback correctly on home theater equipment? How can I tell if the ISO is decrypted? Should I be using different software to burn ISOs for regular hardware playback?

Any help would be very appreciated!
    -Andrew
  • andrewdpooch
    • Mar 2006

Hi,

This problem may not be so obvious, but I'm hoping someone will have seen it and solved it.

I aquired a few ISO DVD images, burned them to DVD and am not able to play two of them on fairly new "home" DVD players. With one movie in particular, I've tried using both DVD+R and DVD-R media, confirmed in both cases that the "book type" ended up being DVD-ROM, not DVD-R or DVD+R; both burns play back fine on my laptop DVD reader, external DVD burner and in my brother's Dell, but they do not play back in my brand new Sony DAV-FX10, nor on our high-end Denon DVD player. On both players, I get a "NO PLAY" error message. I even went ahead and burned this same ISO to DVD+R using my brother's DVD burner... same result. I have been sucessful with other ISOs so this problem seems to be more about what is in the ISO.

The software I use is Nero Burning ROM 7; my brother is using Roxio.

It seems to me that the burns are correct; I always error check the data. It doesn't seem to be a media error; for this movie, I did three different burns all of which play on our PCs but not on our DVD players. I always use the same media; I know the media is compatible with all our hardware and I always burn at 8x. Is there some copy protection that the players are seeing that the computers aren't? Does this have something to do with regions? I didn't make the ISOs, so I don't know where they are from... still, I don't see why the burns would playback fine on the computers but not on the players. Could it be that these ISOs are decrypted and need to be re-encrypted to playback correctly on home theater equipment? How can I tell if the ISO is decrypted? Should I be using different software to burn ISOs for regular hardware playback?

Any help would be very appreciated!
    -Andrew

Comment

• LT. Columbo
      Demigod of Digital Video
      • Nov 2004

sounds like it could be a PAL/NTSC or region problem.
      "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
      Columbo moments...
      "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
      "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
      (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• cynthia
        Super Moderatress
        • Jan 2004

Please don't crosspost. Threads merged.

I've downloaded a few ISO DVD movie images off bittorrent
        Read the forum rules.

Thread closed.

Comment

Working...