X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

I never burn at 6x, just seems wrong, had some strange results long ago and far away

where were those sony's made again?

Comment

• sonic_emperor
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Mar 2003

taiwan...al media i ever bought here is from taiwan...
      i tried burning 4x,did a quality test,got same results as with 6x
      cro-anthem-video

Comment

• dmanshead
        Consequence is a bigger word than you think, it's bigger than you or me
        • Dec 2005

I know chewy says he dislikes 6x but many times with my liteon I get a better burn with it than 8x (using 8x Media) but usually those are the only choices I have, with this particular burner. I'm still trying test with it on 16x media, I can try to set it to 12 or 16x but it never gets that fast. Then The only 16x media I have is some sony MIT. I would love to run across the same media but MIJ, and have had heard rumours it's out there.
        If you use these forums you will not have to face that...
        Long Live Foamy!!!

My burners Nec ND 3550A, Benq DQ60, Liteon SHW P6S, 2 Sony AW_Q170A's (free with my new system) and JLMS XJ-HD S.

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

sometime try an 8x burn and no multitasking, just watch the pif totals

sony 8x dvd+r
          MIJ best buy/staples/OM
          hit or miss, dig thru stacks on end cap
          on sale only
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Chewy; 29 May 2006, 04:07 AM.

Comment

• sonic_emperor
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Mar 2003

Originally Posted by Chewy
            sometime try an 8x burn and no multitasking, just watch the pif totals
            you really think the burn would turn out better...what do you consider under multitask
            i have norton,rambooster,zonealarm,soundmax,icq,siemens wireless control and windows wireless network in my tray - should i shut those of,may be then i would get better results

and forgot to ask - whats the difference when doing read scan and c1/c2-pi/po scan?
            cro-anthem-video

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

read scan or trt is a graph of the speed the data can be read at, when a drive spins up the laser starts out from the center, the read rate increases,
              the rpm of the disk does not, when it has to slow down to read bad areas
              you see dips.

PI/PO errors are actual errors in the disk being fixed with error correction

Comment

• dmanshead
                • Dec 2005

Maybe this should be in COF 8x....

It isn't as I did not COF, but it will show results of making a backup of a backup with better media. I Iso read the disc with DVDD and made the back up with CdSpeed (thanks chewy for the hint fat32 ISO images and cdspeed are not compatible) mostly to see how the 16x media did at 16x. I had defragged the volume and rebooted to see if this helped. I'm not sure how to interpret the results of the create disc but the quality and scan did better than the original. All i can attribute it to is better media, any input would be appreciated
                Attached Files
                Long Live Foamy!!!

My burners Nec ND 3550A, Benq DQ60, Liteon SHW P6S, 2 Sony AW_Q170A's (free with my new system) and JLMS XJ-HD S.

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

now we see what really happens during the burn, liteon starts, sees it is having trouble with the disk, smartly slows down, says I can't go any faster and make a good burn and overrides your wishes, damn drives are trying to
                  outsmart us and burn intelligently.

souce drive I/O might be coming into play, is the drive old as heck?

this cdspeed just keeps getting better and better as we use it to analyze
                  Last edited by Chewy; 29 May 2006, 07:55 AM.

Comment

• NightTran
                    King of Digital Video
                    King of Digital Video
                    • Aug 2005

your burner may be gone bad very soon, buy 8x media and burn at 4x until it die, I never like 6x alway bad unless is the end of life
                    sigpic

Comment

• dmanshead
                      • Dec 2005

@ nightTran 8x media only gives me the option of 6x or 8x with my burner, 16x media gives 12x and 16x. don't know why.
                      I do have 2 new burners in route a BENQ DQ60 and a NEC ND3550A, so if it is dying then let'er die, but i think it's mostly due to the limited amount of speeds it will burn at. I did Test it with some old 2.4x media i had lying around Fastest it burned was 2.4x, with fair results.
                      Long Live Foamy!!!

Comment

• Chewy
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2003

dman,
                        How old are your computers? ram cpu hd's

Comment

• sonic_emperor
                          Digital Video Expert
                          Digital Video Expert
                          • Mar 2003

Originally Posted by Chewy

where were those sony's made again?
                          anyway...i think this last 10 pack i bought seemes to be crap...every disc had a mayor pif failure right at the beginig - or i just dont know how to read these graphs/at all,but ive noticed that every had this high pif yello stripe right at the begining - how does this scan look to you?(burned via imgburn 4x)
                          i was burning my divx backups and tried to play them on my standalone,there were problems,first i thought it was a problem with codec and similar issues,but then i reburned one and got same problems,just at the other timestamps
                          im going 2 open a new pack to see if there's difference
                          Attached Files
                          cro-anthem-video

Comment

• Chewy
                            Super Moderator
                            • Nov 2003

those sony MIT may not be great, but that's a decent burn, I have recovered
                            or transfered data from a disk that had PIF's in the hundreds for max value
                            several times, your nec drive could be exaggerating the errors

Comment

• NightTran
                              King of Digital Video
                              King of Digital Video
                              • Aug 2005

Originally Posted by sonic_emperor
                              anyway...i think this last 10 pack i bought seemes to be crap...every disc had a mayor pif failure right at the beginig - or i just dont know how to read these graphs/at all,but ive noticed that every had this high pif yello stripe right at the begining - how does this scan look to you?(burned via imgburn 4x)
                              i was burning my divx backups and tried to play them on my standalone,there were problems,first i thought it was a problem with codec and similar issues,but then i reburned one and got same problems,just at the other timestamps
                              im going 2 open a new pack to see if there's difference
                              did you burn separate with shrink or together ( one click)? those are actually good for sony MIT
                              sigpic

Comment

• sonic_emperor
                                Digital Video Expert
                                Digital Video Expert
                                • Mar 2003

as i wasnt burning dvdvideo but divx's - i didnt use shrink at all,i just burned a few movies that were taking my diskspace...who knows,may be it is my standalone player divx/xvid codec problems,but found the same problems at totally different files - converted with different video and audio codecs,software etc...
                                cro-anthem-video

Comment

Working...