X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dmanshead
    Consequence is a bigger word than you think, it's bigger than you or me
    • Dec 2005

burn test

Both my 'puters are aging the movie machie is older than the other. It is a Dell PIII 733 mghz, with a 40 and 120 gig hd's in it. The other is an AMD 1700 athalon xp (it had a 2800 processor but it went tits up) it has 2 80 Gig hd's in it. been contemplating buying a 3000 athalon xp for it(biggest that is compatible with that motherboard) but I'm still not sure. They both have 512 of ram in them.
    I want to buy a dual core 64 bit machine but knowing windows Vista is on the horizon, I'm waiting for it's release to get one. The dell will then go by the wayside, and the AMD will become the workhorse Mostly so I don't have to multi task while backing up movies.
    Did a test with some 8x media and if the results are consistent maybe 8x is a better burn option. Will try another to check results.
    Attached Files
    If you use these forums you will not have to face that...
    Long Live Foamy!!!

My burners Nec ND 3550A, Benq DQ60, Liteon SHW P6S, 2 Sony AW_Q170A's (free with my new system) and JLMS XJ-HD S.

Comment

• dmanshead
      • Dec 2005

Burn test 2

ok did another burn test and the results show my liteon does like 8x a bit better than 6x. I notice one thing from my scans that it's PI failures cause the score to go down quickly where as looking at other peoples scans they can have PI failures as high as 10 and still be in the 90 range. Here are the results.
      Attached Files
      Long Live Foamy!!!

My burners Nec ND 3550A, Benq DQ60, Liteon SHW P6S, 2 Sony AW_Q170A's (free with my new system) and JLMS XJ-HD S.

Comment

• dmanshead
        • Dec 2005

Burn test 2 Addendum

The original 8x scan had serious problems, looking at the write area on the disk there is this round area in the dye, that probably is what attributes to the problem area.It's near the inside of the disc. For informational purposes it post the scans.
        Attached Files
        Long Live Foamy!!!

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

btw there's a registry change that makes a liteon report the same as benq and nec drives with the pif max value and most people are changing to 8x speed scans with those new drives

Comment

• dmanshead
            • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by Chewy
            btw there's a registry change that makes a liteon report the same as benq and nec drives with the pif max value and most people are changing to 8x speed scans with those new drives
            And where is this @?
            Long Live Foamy!!!

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

start here

Comment

• sonic_emperor
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Mar 2003

thnx chewy...i was looking for that link
                cro-anthem-video

Comment

• dmanshead
                  • Dec 2005

It was late after work last night there is so much info there one could be mind boggled, i did find out my memorex is a rebranded liteon SOHW-812S. now why does there seem to be a problem bitsetting with it? I'll keep reading to find out why.
                  Long Live Foamy!!!

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

Originally Posted by dmanshead
                    It was late after work last night there is so much info there one could be mind boggled, i did find out my memorex is a rebranded liteon SOHW-812S. now why does there seem to be a problem bitsetting with it? I'll keep reading to find out why.
                    firmware and burning program's lack of support for memorex

think crossflash

Comment

• dmanshead
                      • Dec 2005

it says i need to have lite-on booktype utility to successfully change booktype. the link however is non exsistent. i'll have to look later as it is about time for me to be a slave to the man (work), however you gotta love those paychecks. if only I could figure out how to get paid without working.....
                      Long Live Foamy!!!

Comment

• dmanshead
                        • Dec 2005

I seen somrthing about cross flashing in someone signature maybe i need direction
                        Long Live Foamy!!!

Comment

• Chewy
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2003

it's easy with liteons, are you ready?

Comment

• jm1647
                            An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
                            • Apr 2005

Get booktype135 from liteon here, run it choose set to DVD-Rom minimize burn and you should be set. Never used it on a 812 but 832s, 1633s. The later LO's can be set permanently with it and or Omnipatcher.

You can get all kinda crfossflash fw from the codeguys

Comment

• Chewy
                              Super Moderator
                              • Nov 2003

jm,
                              he has the memorex/812S
                              I had thought to go to codeguys 812S then 832?

Comment

• jm1647
                                An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
                                • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by Chewy
                                jm,
                                he has the memorex/812S
                                I had thought to go to codeguys 812S then 832?
                                Yeah I'm not familiar with the 812s xflash stuff and I didn't look, it's an older drive. It couldn't hurt

Comment

Working...