Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

get your optical drives off that card

chewy's been there and done that, long ago and far away

Comment

• dmanshead
      Consequence is a bigger word than you think, it's bigger than you or me
      • Dec 2005

Ran Into a snag trying that, when i plugged the optical drives to the secondary slot the computer did not see the primary slot. i unhooked the secondary and the primary showed back up. i tried to plug the secondary back in and the primary disappeared again. then i hooked up the hard drives to the pci card it then asks for the setup disk, let it run then it said there is already an operating system on the drive. I am so confused.
      If you use these forums you will not have to face that...
      Long Live Foamy!!!

My burners Nec ND 3550A, Benq DQ60, Liteon SHW P6S, 2 Sony AW_Q170A's (free with my new system) and JLMS XJ-HD S.

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

you have to go into bios and set it to boot to scuzzi or other drives

may have to turn the secondary on

Comment

• dmanshead
          • Dec 2005

Kudos to chewy!!!!! I know this may sound crazy but your advice helped immensely and help to break free the blockage that was causing the confusion, it was a bit more complicated than that but you put me into the right frame of mind to get there. maybe the problems L/Mem were more likely related to this one than actual hardware problems. so how could i hook that burner up with the benq, and jlms dvd rom? i have 2 hd's on my primary
          Long Live Foamy!!!

My burners Nec ND 3550A, Benq DQ60, Liteon SHW P6S, 2 Sony AW_Q170A's (free with my new system) and JLMS XJ-HD S.

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

Most controller pata pci cards support 4 hard drives

Comment

• jm1647
              An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
              • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by Chewy
              You have to have serial hard drives for COF, you can rip to the hard drive then burn to the disk at 8x just as fast as cof at 4x and be a lot safer. The key here is never have 2 drives trying to use the same cable at the same time.

I would pair the liteon and nec, that way the nec can do most burning,
              however I wouldn't let the benq go to waste, scanning and burning some too.

the strength will be in crosschecking a few burns with both good scanners,
              I get good results with a ROM and a burner on the same cable, one scan I posted for you I think was at 6X COF but when they (EDIT play OK) I normally don't scan them.

All pata drives so far 7200RPM
              Last edited by jm1647; 10 Jun 2006, 02:13 AM.

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

jm, you and I can get away with a lot more than the average joe, maybe we are charmed, or wear better tin foil hats. Try a 16x cof in 6 minutes for a
                4400MB burn on the same cable. When I have burners sharing a cable I try
                not to ever use them at the same time. Serial drives and controller cards are
                a nice luxury.

Comment

• jm1647
                  • Apr 2005

@chewy I agree!!! I got 2 Maxtor SATA\150 PCI cards, but no SATA drives yet but they are coming soon...I'm watching them sales!!!!

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

4-5 years ago I was cof cd's with drives sharing cable and a friend had dual
                    premium plexs with hard drives on a raid controller, after seeing what standalone master burners would do, I never bought a regular mobo again for personal use. Luckily newegg always had plenty of good refurb ones for sale,
                    a lot of people can't figure them out so return them. Last 3 I got for around 40$ with 4 serial and 4 ide's apeice.

Comment

• jm1647
                      • Apr 2005

@Chewy - refurbs ?? Damn we think a lot alike, a lot of people won't touch a refurb, but shoot they got the 2nd good going over and are just a good as new and with the warranty. Or like you said, nothing wrong with, just returns and can't be sold as new. Ya can't get hurt!!!!

Comment

• Chewy
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2003

My beast is using last years model asus a8v deluxe, and doing a 40% overclock and HT is running at 1120, which everyone says is impossible.
                        I paid a premium for it 53$, it sold for over 150$ retail.
                        I always clear cmos and check every jumper when I get a refurb mobo.

Comment

• dmanshead
                          • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by Chewy
                          Most controller pata pci cards support 4 hard drives
                          so not knowing alot about control cards can you help enlighten me, this serial hard drive and burner issue intrigues me and gives me an idea of what to look for when i get my next comp. i already know i want a dual core 64 bit machine, i tend to like the amd rigs.
                          Long Live Foamy!!!

Comment

Working...