Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Methos1979
    • Jun 2006

Newbie questions/advice

Hello to all. I've been surfing for a while and finally registered. I am having an issue with burned DVD's skipping. I've read several very helpful FAQ's but still have issues. Here's my rundown:

I own a dance studio. We switched over to creating/selling DVD's this year from video. I use a Sony Mini-DV recorded. Download to Dell PC and create movies using Sonic's MDVD. It seems to create a good movie. I burned an orginal DVD to a Memorex DVD-R 8x DVD with no problems. Runs fine. Then I burned a bunch more from the same program (haven't had luck just copying using different software) and started having problems with skipping durning playback.

Checked into the 'Golden Rules of Burning' thread:

Using Memorex DVD-R 8x media (is this a good media?)

Not sure if my firmware is up to date and more than a little nervous about trying to do so. My burner is a Sony DVD+-RW Dw-D56A.

DMA settings are all correct.

Pretty sure I selected 'Auto' on burn so might have to try manually slower burns of 4x or less.

So I'm thinking either the media (if Memorex is not a good brand), the firmware (how do I check what I have?), or the speed.

I'm typically creating up to about 50 DVDs of 4 shows. I'm considering just taking the masters to a shop to have them reproduced but of course will have to pay for that.

Any obvious ideas?

Thanks for any advice. Great forum!

M
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

doing this with a laptop and memorex is a mistake, you need a more professional setup.

laptop burners burn slow and die quick

memorex media is some of the worst

welcome to the forum

Comment

• Methos1979
      • Jun 2006

Chewy - thanks for the quick info! I was concerned about the whole laptop/heat issue and figures that the 'name brand' I thought I was buying is crap.

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

any desktop(even 2 years old) with a new name brand dvd burner(40$ delivered) will burn quality taiyo yuden, verbatim and sony media in 8 minutes
        disk after disk. Won't take long to pay for it. One job or two.

Even then don't expect to get more than 4-500 good burns from a dvd burner.

Comment

• Methos1979
          • Jun 2006

Chewy, would a standalone burner, something run from a USB port be an option? Do they make them?

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

yes it will work but make sure you have firewire or usb2 to keep up the speed, expect to burn slower(like 4x) and wear out the laptop quicker.

I always figure laptops should be saved for their portable uses mostly.
            You get a lot less computer for a lot more money.

Comment

• dmanshead
              Consequence is a bigger word than you think, it's bigger than you or me
              • Dec 2005

buy an emachine they are cheap disposable computers with a few fans and a decent burner and burn away. chewy is right a laptop is good when you need portability, but for a worker a desktop is more suited to the task. my tower monitor and keyboard and mouse would not a good portable make. new egg and chiefvalue have good burners at very reasonable prices and supermedia store is the place to buy tayio yudens.
              If you use these forums you will not have to face that...
              Long Live Foamy!!!

My burners Nec ND 3550A, Benq DQ60, Liteon SHW P6S, 2 Sony AW_Q170A's (free with my new system) and JLMS XJ-HD S.

Comment

Working...