Oops... I bought some +R DVDs... can I......?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ulTRAX
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    • Jan 2005

Oops... I bought some +R DVDs... can I......?

I've usually purchased -R DVDs for what I believed would be better compatibility. But I bought a spindle of +Rs by mistake.

I hear that +R DVDs can be burned in a way that makes them appear to be DVD-ROMs. Now for movies that would seem to be an advantage since one of my older DVD drives has difficulty with any –R disks I burn.

But I also hear this ability depends on one's DVD drive.

I have a Sony DRU-710a. How can I tell if this burner has this ability to burn +R disks as DVD-ROMs?

Thanks!
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

links in the FAQ
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• jm1647
      An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
      • Apr 2005

It's a rebadged LiteOn 1633S, so it should report it. LiteOn has a utility called booktype135 here that may change it permanently or you may have to run it in the background

Comment

• ulTRAX
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        • Jan 2005

Originally Posted by LT. Columbo
        Thanks for that. Interesting reading.

Comment

• ulTRAX
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          • Jan 2005

Originally Posted by jm1647
          It's a rebadged LiteOn 1633S, so it should report it. LiteOn has a utility called booktype135 here that may change it permanently or you may have to run it in the background
          Thanks. I'll check it out.

When I use Shrink I have the option for booktyping. Is it always active or just when a drive supports it?

Comment

• geno888
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Dec 2005

Changing booktype is related to the drive. If a drive don't support this function, even if you set it with shrink it takes no effect.

Liteon 1633 (I'm not sure if it's the same also for rebadged drives like Sony) store the booktype setting in the eeprom, so once set it's not necessary to set it anytime after a reboot.

LG drives, for example, don't store this setting, and after a reboot you must set booktype again.

Comment

Working...