Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J8son
    • Jun 2005

Printable DVD-R. Dangerous To Drives?

I've been doing a lot of research on the subject and so far, I've got mixed results from people.

I currently use the Verbatim Printable Inject DVD-R media. However, I've got concerned recently of how this may be effecting my drive.

From what I hear some drives can become so hot that they can cause the ink to run, even on discs that have been dried for months and months. With the spinning of the disc this can throw ink on the lenses and ruin the player (or the XBox in my case which would be a real shame).

Then again, I've heard others who say there's no cause for concern after the disc has dried.

What's the real verdict. Am I putting my equipment at risk. Should I just switch to lightscribe and be done with it?
  • ed klein
    Banned
    • Mar 2004

Lightscribe No.

I have done both of the following procedures with no ill effects with DVD balance or ink run.

1. After the DVD disk has been burned, and you want to use a stick-on the DVD, print the stick-on using an ink jet printer, and then PROPERLY CENTER the stick-on on the DVD, the ink will not run.

2. After the dvd disk has been burned, if you have white labeled DVD disks, and you have an ink jet printer like the Epson R220 which prints on the white label disks, use it, and the ink will not run.

The DVD reader/burner does not get hot enought to cause the ink to run, if it does, you are using some home grown water colors for ink, and you need to get the proper type of ink.

Comment

• J8son
      • Jun 2005

I have the Epson R200 with the printer CD attachment and that's what I use.

I also ONLY use the Epson brand ink cartridges.

Any particular reason your against lightscribe? I've heard good things so far. Any downsides?

Comment

• bluefoe
        • Mar 2006

Im using the same media now, had no problems. Ive used printable discs for around a year, never had a problem with ink running etc. I have a epson R220 and use datasafe inkjet cartridges (at the mo). So seems perfectly fine, i've also played my dvd's on a lot of dvd's players, my xbox aswell works fine with them. No problems .

Comment

• Mr_Freakybig
          Check Out my Big Hand
          • Sep 2006

My printable (fake!) tygo Aone discs do not have any problem
          whenever I print with the epson r300 or with an r-quest.
          I think its all down to the ink, and the surface of the dvd.
          Good ink doesn't run. But can smudge shortly after printed
          so let them dry at least about 5 mins.
          Forget refilling your cartridges. It suxx.
          Just buy new ones.. the ones meant for your printer.

Comment

• ed klein
            Banned
            • Mar 2004

If your looking for better than factory ink tanks for the Epson R200 series printers: http://www.printonadime.

1. Clear see thru ink tanks, and can be refilled with the ink tank in the printer.

2. Clear see thru ink tanks will come with auto reset chips. Will reset themselves when ink level is at 10% remaining.

Much cheaper and better than the factory Epson ink tanks with no ink mess.

Comment

Working...