Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gs47
    • Oct 2005

Newer Lite-On DVD drives - other?

Just RMA'd a Pioneer DVR-112D-didn't recognize blank discs; real new still, may get a DVR-111D instead?

Got a Samsung SH-S182D and it won't read any DVD faster than 5.0x and is usually between 3.0x and 4.8X read speeds. Not even ARccOS or special protection titles.

I have older Plextors and an NEC that do well still. My question is about a good, reliable, & FAST reader that also recovers speed after hitting bad sectors.
    Does anyone have experience with a newer Lite-On DVD DL burner that they would recommend?? OR even something else? I've researched this a lot but wanted to hear some first hand experience.
    Specs and Newegg reviews have their limits.
    Thanks...
  • Dan
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Dec 2005

Sounds like you have some other issues going on there.

Have you ensured the drive is connected, configured and updated properly?

I recently purchased a Samsung SH-S182D, very good reader, nice solid burner.
    I can rip a DVD5 (no protection) in about 6 minutes, burn @8x in 8 minutes.

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

Dan have you tried the newer firmware that fixes the leadin problem?

Comment

• Dan
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Dec 2005

Not yet Chewy, I just noticed the update about 2 hours ago.
        No problems with the current firmware here, but I will likely update and try some burns later today or tomorrow.

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

leadin problem was only with dvd-r disks, kind of funny, liteon's had the same problem

Comment

• Dan
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Dec 2005

Okay, The coffee is kicking in now. I do recall the issues with -R media and the lead in. (I use only +R so I let it slip away)

I believe I will update anyway. With the great TY deals you have been showing me lately I have a feeling I will want my burner ready for some -R media!

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

are you close to one of their stores?

Comment

• gs47
                • Oct 2005

@Dan
                Yes, I'm convinced the setup is fine. I have no problems/issues with any of the other drives.
                I have this new Samsung set up as the master on the primary channel. The drive that I removed from that position was fine, I just wanted a burner rather than a reader. I've had other drives there too and all was fine. No problem with the Plextor also in this PC.

The burn portion and recognizing discs is fine too, just a painfully slow reader. Could be a dud, it happens. I updated the firmware right away too and now have SB05, updated from SB04. Made no difference.

Is there some 3rd party firmware available that anyone has used successfully?

Comment

• Dan
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Dec 2005

@ Chewy

There is one about two hours away (if you are referring to Canada Computers) but I do visit there sometimes.

I have ordered from them before and found there shipping was reasonable and super fast.

I'm glad you pointed it out though, I used to frequent their web site and I just seemed to let it slip away recently. I do hope it is the real deal TY media if I grab a spindle or two,lol.

Comment

• gs47
                    • Oct 2005

Originally Posted by Chewy
                    leadin problem was only with dvd-r disks, kind of funny, liteon's had the same problem
                    This one has the best, shortest lead-in of any drive I've ever had. Started actually burning about 22 seconds in rather than nearly twice that on my other drives. This is with -R discs.

Comment

• Chewy
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2003

the earlier models had a riplock for dual layer disks that was patched(removed) with hacked firmware, I couldn't find any yet for the 182's

Comment

• Dan
                        Digital Video Master
                        Digital Video Master
                        • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by gs47
                        Is there some 3rd party firmware available that anyone has used successfully?
                        Perhaps it is just a dud, too bad if that is the case.
                        I'm not aware of any sort of modded firmware for this burner, haven't tried the new official firmware, but will do so soon.

Comment

• gs47
                          • Oct 2005

Thanks guys, back to the original question; any other drives recommended for reading especially?

Comment

• Dan
                            Digital Video Master
                            Digital Video Master
                            • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by gs47
                            This one has the best, shortest lead-in of any drive I've ever had. Started actually burning about 22 seconds in rather than nearly twice that on my other drives. This is with -R discs.
                            I must dig out some old -R Fuji or something to try this new firmware. I know my burns on +R have been super quick lately.

Comment

• Chewy
                              Super Moderator
                              • Nov 2003

gs47,
                              post a disk transfer test of a problem burned disk?

Comment

Working...