Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gs47
    • Oct 2005

Originally Posted by Dan
    Liggy and Dee's 1.07 firmware does support bitsetting and it works fine. It appears to be one of the few changes to the 1.07 stock firmware. All of the strategies are the same.
    Thanks for the reply, tip that there is an update, and the link!
    Bitsetting seems fairly unimportant anymore since even the inexpensive players handle most all common media types/formats. Nice to have the option though.
    I'll try that L & D original 1.07 then. Never even seen a disc other than R1 so the region-free part doesn't matter much to me.
    Those NEC 3550a drives are solid workhorse performers IMO and I'm glad they are still updating firmware; updating somewhat anyway...

Comment

• Dan
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by Chewy
      some sort of relinking points that a benq or nec will show but liteon's don't show? samsung seems to share a lot with liteon as far as scanning goes?
      The Samsung scanning sure looks similar to Lite-On, although I have never owned one personally. I guess those spikes with the NEC but not the Samsung goes along with the way they scan as a whole.

@gs47

No problem! I just stumbled upon it, but Chewy pointed out the old date under the strategy section which seemed a bit odd.

You are right, the NEC 3550 is a great burner. Looks like mine still has some life in it yet!
      Last edited by Dan; 15 Apr 2007, 03:19 AM.

Comment

• gs47
        • Oct 2005

I changed the booktype for DVD+RW and for DVD+R to DVD-ROM of course, using ImgBurn.
        Both said success. I burned a title to the RW disc (after a FULL erase) and checked it under "last recorded" in ImgBurn later. Still says +RW rather than DVD-ROM. Is this common with RW discs? Never used an RW to convert to ROM, just +R.

Have not burned a regular DVD+R yet with this drive so I don't know yet if that is okay. Works fine on other drives however.

Comment

• gs47
          • Oct 2005

Update:
          Worked fine with the +R as noted in red but still wondering about +RW? Anyone try that yet?;

Code:
          _NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A 1.07 (ATA)
          Current Profile: DVD+R

Disc Information:
          Erasable: No
          Sessions: 1
          Sectors: 2,285,872
          Size: 4,681,465,856 bytes
          Time: 508:00:22 (MM:SS:FF)
          Supported Write Speeds: 2.4x, 4x, 6x, 8x

TOC Information:
          Session 1...
          -> Track 01  (Mode 1, LBA: 0 - 2285871)
          -> LeadOut  (LBA: 2285872)

Physical Format Information (ADIP):
          Disc ID: MCC-003-00
          Book Type: DVD+R
          Part Version: 1
          Disc Size: 120mm
          Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
          Number of Layers: 1
          Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
          Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
          Track Density: 0.74 um/track
          First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
          Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,491,711
          Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
          Disc ID: MCC-003-00
          [COLOR="Red"]Book Type: DVD-ROM[/COLOR]
          Part Version: 1
          Disc Size: 120mm
          Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
          Number of Layers: 1
          Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
          Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
          Track Density: 0.74 um/track
          First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
          Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,482,479
          Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

the next burn you do with a dvd+rw do a verify with imgburn and post the log in the imgburn forum

Comment

• gs47
              • Oct 2005

okay, thanks Chewy

Comment

• Dr Klovernutz
                Platinum Member
                Platinum Member
                • Jul 2005

hello
                Haven't been here in a long time (see some things have changed)
                saying hi to eveyone.

NEC 3550A
                I was using the 1Y6 modified (rpc1) firmware

As for the 1.07 LiggyDee rpc1 firmware:
                I was having some problems with my NEC 3550A, specifically on reading RW discs.
                Sometimes it wouldn't acknowledge there was a disc or it may read it, I would erase on a RW only to find that on another computer the data is still there.... The issues were randomly occuring so it was difficult to pinpoint exactly what was going on. I don't know if I always hada problem with the RW discs since I only recently started using them.
                However this seems to be a recent problem: lately its been a 50/50 chance of it reading new "Pressed" or "silver" DVDs.....

However, updating to the 1.07 (modified RPC1) all of these problems seem to have gone away. ideas?

Also originally I never selected a region for the drive (it was always at 0) After I updated to 1.07, I accidently selected Region 1. My questions are:
                1. Will this have any effect since i flashed with the RPC1 version?

2. Could it be possible that since I was at Region 0, that is what was causing my problems withh 1Y6 (keep in mind that firmware was also RPC1)

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

One of my theories is that firmware can get corrupt, reflashing with the same or new
                  would fix problems?

Doubt the region setting would have anything to do with the drive's problems

My nec had a lot of issues when it got dirty

Comment

• Dr Klovernutz
                    Platinum Member
                    Platinum Member
                    • Jul 2005

well at first I did try to re-flash with the 1Y6, it was able to read RW briefly (I was using the same 2 test DVD+RWs, consistantly 1 was unreadable the other was iffy) but it really didn't help that much. I was actually thinking one of the DVD+RW was damaged except that the other computers could read and erase iit fine.
                    After changing to 1.07 I have been able to read both RWs under multiple conditions (erase on 1 comp, record on another, etc, just like in the other computers)

NEC dirty: did u clean it? how?

Also: since i used the rpc1 version of the 1.07 I should not have to worry bout selecting region 1??
                    Last edited by Dr Klovernutz; 3 Sep 2007, 01:32 AM.

Comment

• Chewy
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2003

later I had to disassemble the drive and use a qtip with eyeglass cleaner on the lens

there was some kind of film from outgassing silicon? where it overheated

Comment

• Dr Klovernutz
                        Platinum Member
                        Platinum Member
                        • Jul 2005

I've had to clean CD lens like that in the past too. I gave both drives a good air blasting, I think I'm gonna see how it acts with the new firmware. The 1.07 seems to have solved my problems.

Comment

• Dr Klovernutz
                          Platinum Member
                          Platinum Member
                          • Jul 2005

Chewy,
                          here is the situation with my NEC3550A
                          I updated to rpc1 v1.07
                          Using an air can I blew ut the drive (a small wad of dust did come out)

The drive seems more responsive, reads blanks and burned/ pressed discs better. I actually thought the drive was fixed.
                          However, sporatically (there seems to be no pattern to it, I've done many burs trying to find a pattern) When I burn with image burn and verify, after the cycling of the tray the drive sometimes acts like there is no disc inside?? But if i manually open and close the tray again it finds the disc and always verifies 100%.

My question : Is it dying or dirty?
                          What do you recommend?

I have dvd/cd speed (nero) I am running a benchmark on the last RW i burned with imgburn that required me to open and close the tray manually. Is there any other tests i can run to check the drive? Not sure exactly what i am supposed to do with dvd/cd burn.

How did you gain access to the lens to clean it? I took the drive out, I removed the 6 screws and opened the case but could gain access to the lens.
                          Last edited by Dr Klovernutz; 5 Sep 2007, 10:06 PM.

Comment

• Chewy
                            Super Moderator
                            • Nov 2003

to open the actual drive case, it's necessary to have the tray in the open position, being very careful to not force the front plate and break the little tabs that hold it on,
                            with the tray out of the way then a q tip slightly moistened with eyeglass cleaner or
                            high quality alcohol can be used to gently(like a feather) clean the lens

this is a very good time to finish blowing out the dust mites, sony rootkit clan etc

there are 2 guide rails that need to be cleaned also, and relubricated

all in all I would say you have a 50/50 chance at resurrecting the drive, if that

I have applied this skill to standalone players quite successfully

little on the overboard frugality side tho

Comment

• Dr Klovernutz
                              Platinum Member
                              Platinum Member
                              • Jul 2005

well all the burns are coming out 100% (Verify)
                              should i just use it as it is? The only complaint is that it sometimes doesn't see a disc when i first put it in.

what drive to you recommend to replace it?

Comment

• Chewy
                                Super Moderator
                                • Nov 2003

the new samsungs are about all I can reccomend

Comment

Working...